2013 MacBook Pro Retina 13" Will not boot and stays on black screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ericeric1010, Feb 3, 2016.

1. ericeric1010 macrumors newbie

ericeric1010

My mac has been working perfectly for the past 3 years. I opened it up after waking up and nothing happens, the screen is illuminated (I can see the apple logo on the back glowing) but is unresponsive. I tried resetting it and doing a pram reset but nothing will work. When I plugged in an external display I was able to boot it into safe mode and got to my desktop. Connected to the monitor the Mac will not boot unless in safe mode? Any ideas? I am a university student and rely on my computer for everything. Thanks in advance!

2. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Can't you also do a boot from the cloud? Hold down M or something.

3. JohnDS macrumors 65816

MacBook Pros from 2011 to 2013 had video card problems and Apple has an extended warranty for that problem. See:

https://www.apple.com/ca/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Use your Mac's serial number to see if your Mac is entitled to a free repair.

Also, if you bought AppleCare when you got your computer, it is still under warranty and I would suggest you make an appointment with the genius bar in your local Apple Store and take the computer in.

4. ericeric1010 thread starter macrumors newbie

ericeric1010

The computer is a 2013 Macbook Pro 13inch, It is not covered under this free repair. I do not have apple care and the warranty has expired.

5. JohnDS macrumors 65816

6. ericeric1010 thread starter macrumors newbie

ericeric1010

After running the diognostic test I got the following results
    1. There may be an issue with the display. Reference code: VFD002
    2. A 45W power adapter is connected, this system requries a 60W power adaptor to charge properly
    3. The battery requires service

Any ideas? I could only get the diagnostic screen to open on the monitor. Unable to get it on the MacBook display

7. JohnDS macrumors 65816

I think you have a hardware problem with the display and need to make an appointment at a genius bar. If you are in downtown Toronto, there is one at the Eaton Centre.

8. ericeric1010 thread starter macrumors newbie

ericeric1010

I have an appointment for tomorrow, Hopefully it won't be costly. I am extremely disappointed that my mac just randomly decided to die. Thankfully I have all my files backed up!

9. JohnDS macrumors 65816

If you have a spare external drive, it might not be a bad idea to make a clone of your whole drive.

10. Tim112358 macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem you (QUOTE="ericeric1010, post: 22536400, member: 1015859) describes and I wondered if you ever found out what the problem/possible fixes was? I have macbook pro (produced mid 2014 purchased Jan 2015 so just out of warranty) that boots with black screen, when connected to external display I see a frozen load bar, and I can only boot in safe mode while connected to external screen. Apple diagnostics says 'There may be an issue with the display- VFD002). I already tried the PVRAM and SMC resets. I also notef that when I do regular booting with external moniutor, at the point where the loading bar is freezing, I see a brief bright flash on my INTERNAL display (while apart from that it is always black and I can only see stuff on the external monitor). Also, the logo on the back of the screen lights but not the keyboard.. Thank you very much in advance already..

11. Michael_mhr macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I also have the EXACT same problem as you.
    How did you solve it?

Thanks in advance,
    Michael

12. ExSter macrumors newbie

Hello !

Me as well! I have exactly the same issue.
    MBP 13" Retina Late 2013
    Référence code : VFD002 - Display problem

How did you solve that ?

13. Michael_mhr, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017

Michael_mhr macrumors newbie

EDIT:
    I solved it by pressing the plastic part of the display assembly to the aluminium part with a pincer(german: Beißzange; is this the correct translation?).

To prevent the aluminium from scratches I put some paper over the aluminium.

Regards,
    Michael

14. ExSter macrumors newbie

What ?!

I mean, why would it be related to wifi antenna ?

Has Eric solved the issue in a similar way ?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 6, 2017 ---
    Hi Eric,

What's the final status please ?