All iPads 2013 March Keynote: what replaces the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by slimbek, Oct 24, 2012.

1. slimbek macrumors regular

So for 3 years we've had a March Keynote to announce iPads, except this year 2013's keynote happened in October 2012... so what happens now?

Since June, Apple have released their 2 biggest products, upgraded (almost) every Mac, updated all iPods, and released OSX and iOS... that's a mighty big hole between an Oct iPad announcement and June WWDC!!

So what will fill the gap? There are 6months of no obvious major product announcements.

2. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Probably just moved to October for the time being, just like iPhone announcements going from WWDC>Oct

3. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Mac Pro, :apple: TV, Airport, iLife & iWork - All overdue for updates

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I was guessing Mac Pro and Apple TV as well.

Now here is a theory, Apple will finally release an Apple branded television :eek:

5. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Don't get them started on the TV. People will go ape **** with speculation!

I'm kind of in the phase where I don't really care what's announced in the near future because I'm set for a while. I just upgraded my mini last year, got the iPad 3, and I've been getting the iPhone each year. The Mac Pro is merely a way overpriced "want" for me. I guess I just miss having an actual PC tower to tinker around in.

6. gadget123 macrumors 68000

No reason why ipad 5 won't be announced in March.

7. reputationZed macrumors 65816

True, but at the same time there's no reason it would. I think the Pro has seen its last Apple event. Apple has lost all enthusiasm for that segment of the market. They may not kill off the Mac Pro but keeping it around will be more out of a spence of obligation than it will be out of any real devotion to the product. Im afraid it's soft upgrades for the Mac Pro from here on out.

8. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

While it is possible, I think it is unlikely. I see the update as a re-alignment to have a product that is refreshed for the important holiday quarter, in prior years there was not a lot of competition, so Apple could get away with a 7-8 month old product. All of Apple's key competitors have either updated their tablets since the 3rd Gen iPad or just about to (Microsoft). I don't believe you will see an updated iPad until the same time next year. The processor is an update to the same CPU used in the iPhone 5, I doubt they will have an A7 ready in time for April / May release.

9. Bez59 macrumors regular

I would love to see a flash based iPod classic with at least 128gb but i can't see it happening. :(

10. Noisemaker Guest

My bet:

iPhone, Mac, iPad, and iPod in fall. TV, iTunes, iLife, iWork, General Media stuff in spring.

11. slimbek thread starter macrumors regular

I wonder about the Mac Pro too.
    Apple themselves have stated it will be updated in 2013 - 20mins of redesigned Mac Pro airtime within a Keynote seems reasonable.

But I don't think they can fill 8 months (Nov-Aug) with only software announcements (iWork, OSX, iBooks, iOS, iLife etc.)

Macbooks will probably get processor bumps and Airports etc. aren't groundbreaking devices... merely practical.

I can't help thinking something bigger may be coming along. Perhaps it is the TV... or something else we don't even know we need!

I'd love them to design something that takes control of my house.

12. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Apple released the Ipad mini this holiday season to generate sales that's why. This year only this one as it's new..good business sense.

However the Ipad 4 won't pick up anymore sales than had there been an Ipad 3 on the shelves at xmas. To the general consumer they would never notice the new features. Apple just fired in stuff from Iphone 5 which had been in development since what 2010, 2011? It's old tech..

Apple has a better tablet in the works for sure. If you update from 3 to 4 expect to be updating again early 2013. Ipad 3 had to ship with lightning which it has done but adding a new processor and 720p makes it sound like a 4th gen. It's not new not lightter nothing less of an update than the 2 > 3 was.

Apple probably hope to pick up a few sales over xmas and hope to wipe any talk of the Ipad 3 away. In consumer land it's just the current Ipsd same price, same design. Obviously alot of unhappy Ipad 3 owners but no big sites are picking up on that it's all Ipad mini talk.

My advice is keep Ipad 3 a little longer. Ipad 5th gen will be the spring as Apple can't keep up with orders. I think 2012 was just pushing all devices to lightning and mirror updates. 2013 should bring a better designed Ipad slate black like Ipad mini and Iphone 5S maybe adding NFC.

There's no way Ipad 3 (sorry I mean 4) will be the latest tablet come September/October..it's an Ipad 3 simple as.

13. slimbek thread starter macrumors regular

Perhaps this is a desire from Apple to move the iPad release cycle into the realm of PCs? ie: released when required, with the notion of an iPad lasting the user for a few years? Alongside removing any 1/2/3/4's from the title.

I know that is how I look at it... I bought an iPad 2 last April and don't see myself needing an upgrade until perhaps 2014. It runs absolutely perfectly right now...

14. gadget123 macrumors 68000

They probably never even wanted an Ipad 4 but as I keep saying..they can't go putting 720p Facetime cameras and new connectors on a cheaper, smaller device and leave a flagship tablet with the old tech.

If anything they will spoil Ipad 5 as Ipad 4 would probably carry a new design in 2013 with these new features. I predict the Ipad 4 will have the slowest launch day sales of any Ipad..long term it's just going to pick up Ipad 3 potential buyers in a few months..no lines, no queues no hype..all covered up with the media talk of Ipad mini.

15. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5S. Mark my words. I said it first. ;)

16. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Spring - computers, gets them out for back to school

Summer - iOS and other software (WWDC)

Late Summer - iPhone event

Fall - iPads, for the Holliday season.

That will be the new schedule.

17. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

I think the iPad is moved to WWDC. In Spring, a new product launch. I think it will be a gaming console like the Xbox. Xbox is a home theater box that you can play games and watch media. This gaming console can also be inserted to a apple television, too. Or, 5th gen iPad. Maybe, iWatch.

18. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The only computers that need to be updated are the MacBook Air and Mac Pro, everything just got updated at the October Event.

19. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Spring in general. May not be every machine next spring, but it will be minor updates / tweaks.