Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spokrandt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
My MBA no longer sleeps after upgrade to Mavericks. In the past with mtn lion I would shut the lid and in the morning I would have almost as much battery as i did when I closed the lid. now my battery is empty and the OS has shut down.

I've done a SCM reset.. and checked my setting for pmset with others. even selecting apple/sleep doesn;t work.. I get a message in pmset -g that sleep prevented by powerd, coreaudiod or apsd

Any Ideas?

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
have you tried it in safe mode?

are there any programs running? audio programs like spotify are notorious for causing these problems.

did you try resetting your energy saver prefs to default?

*edit*
err - tried it safe mode, not sleep mode rather.

spokrandt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
Nothing running that was not running under mtn lion. I have kill boom thinking it might be causing the problem.

just tried in safe mode and selecting apple/sleep blanks the display but doesn't act as it did in mtn lion.

macgeek88

Suspended
Jan 16, 2013
Illinois
An SMC reset should have fixed any issues with power.

That said, it may not help but it won't hurt to go ahead and reset PRAM (Apple+Option+P+R for three chimes at bootup is my preference) and repair permissions with Disk Utility. After I upgraded to Mavericks I had a lot of permissions issues.

If it does work better in safe mode, it's likely to be software/OS and not hardware.

spokrandt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
OK, it might just be working. seems to sleep now with my testing. I'll see tomorrow morning

brian-ky

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2007
After applying this band-aid [work around by setting the standbydelay to 7 days = 604800 seconds], my 2013 Air remained in sleep all night and battery was 100% in the morning (e.g., no decline in battery after >6 hours in sleep).

It's not a "great" fix but it does seem to be a work-around while Apple patches the issue.

gerlitzappel

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2004
South Florida
My MBA no longer sleeps after upgrade to Mavericks. In the past with mtn lion I would shut the lid and in the morning I would have almost as much battery as i did when I closed the lid. now my battery is empty and the OS has shut down.

I've done a SCM reset.. and checked my setting for pmset with others. even selecting apple/sleep doesn;t work.. I get a message in pmset -g that sleep prevented by powerd, coreaudiod or apsd

Any Ideas?

I suppose putting the MBA to sleep should do just that, but with powernap I wonder if something is taking advantage of the situation. There is a new feature in Mavericks that displays battery drain per app, it may be helpful.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/10/mavericks-battery-life/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.