2013 MBA keeps needing SMC reset to power on

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jmpage2, Dec 8, 2014.

1. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

About six months ago my wife's 2013 MBA would not power up. I did an SMC reset and it powered up fine.

Since then she has needed to do SMC reset probably 10 times. The frequency is increasing... sometimes she has had to do multiple SMC resets in the same week to get it to power up.

She tends to take it everywhere and never shuts it down, she just closes the lid and goes from one place to the next.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be going on? Is this a definite trip to the Genius Bar?

Thanks

2. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

Once you're confident you can replicate the problem on demand, you should take it to the genius bar. Sounds like it could be logic board related.

3. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Unfortunately it is still random and occurs at most 2-3 times in a week long period. She made a genius bar appointment for later this week, I'm not sure if there is any diagnostic info that would help them determine that there is a problem so that they can try to correct it.

4. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

I don't there's anything besides describing the problem that you can give that they can't get themselves. Hopefully the logs are helpful, and something may even show up on their diagnostic scan. Good luck!

5. LFMNX, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014

LFMNX macrumors regular

I had a similar issue on a 2011 and could never get it to fail at a genius bar session. Even took videos of it. It would also reset the date and time on occasion. I finally gave up and bought a new MBA 2014 as I needed a larger SSD and RAM anyway. When I cleaned up the machine, and uninstalled file vault and then ran disk utility, it repaired some items and seemed to resolve the need for SMC reset. Try running disk utility repair and see if it sniffs anything out and report back as I would be curious. This plagued me for a long time.

6. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

That's a good idea, I will do some cleanup on it tonight, thanks for the idea.