2013 MBA or 2009 MB Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mfez, Mar 2, 2014.

1. mfez macrumors newbie

My local computer store has a new macbook air 13" for $999, and also a 2009 refurbished Macbook Pro for $650. I use the computer for internet, a little bit of work, emails. I bring a laptop when traveling maybe once a month. Thoughts on which to buy?

2. Kobayagi macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

If you got enough for the Air, get that. It's faster, it's new, it's lighter and is more future proof since it's just one year old. Where the Pro is entering it's 5th year. But don't forget, the Pro does have a dvd drive. But you can always get a external dvd player for the Air if you really need it.

3. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

If you can afford it, definitely go with the MBA

No question about it!

4. yosemit macrumors regular

If you want performance, go for the MBA.
    If you want portability, go for the MBA. :)

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The old MacBook Pro is just old at this point.

If you're even looking at the MacBook Air, I would assume it's within your means and therefore I would definitely choose the MacBook Air.

6. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Quoted for truth. MBA would be my choice.

7. iHackPro macrumors regular

I'd go with the Air. You seem like you've got the money for it, and it'll be supported longer. Your basic tasks will also be a breeze on the MBA.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I would probably go with the MBA on this one. They can call it refurbished, but I would want to know exactly what was tested and what kind of warranty prior to paying that much for a 2009 model. For example I would want to know how long ago that battery and hard drive were installed and what testing it undergoes. I do prefer the mbp screens due to better viewing angles. I would personally look for a 13" rmbp refurbished unit through Apple due to a longer warranty, but that would probably be more like $1100 before tax. I can understand wanting to keep to a budget.

9. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Go MBA. If the 128GB storage gets to be an issue in the future, you can buy 128GB SD card that will fit firmly and snuggly in the SD slot for $79. Future, they will probably go down. Double your storage for nothing. You'll be satisfied.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Along with everyone else, I'd recommend that you go with the MBA.

It is newer, (more technologically advanced), faster, lighter, more portable, more powerful, and has an amazing battery life.

11. kathyricks macrumors 6502

The Apple 13" Air refurbs are only $929 and come with the full Applecare warranty plus they typically have only a few battery cycles of use on them http://www.refurb.me/us/browse/#!ap...ual-Core-i5-1.30Ghz-4GB-RAM-128GB-SSD-id-8496
    For even speedier performance and a retina display the 13" rMBP is $1099 on the refurb website.
    Watch ebay too. Sometimes you can get new sealed in box units for the same price as the refurbs on the apple website.

12. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

What's the spec on the MBA? I replaced a 2008 15" MBP core2 duo 2.4ghz with a 2011 13" MBA i5 and it just ran circles around the old MBP. CPU almost twice as fast but the overall experience was much, much, much faster because of the SSD. I now have a 2013 i7/8gb/512gb MBA and it's significantly faster than the 2011 model.

So yeah, like the others have said, you definitely want the MBA. Computers have really improved a lot over the past 7 years.

13. phitcharkorn macrumors newbie

Mba

The only reason to buy the Pro is you don't have enough money!:D

14. iHackPro macrumors regular

2013 MBA or 2009 MB Pro?

This is talking about the old MacBook Pro, not the, what I assume you're thinking of, new Mac Pro.

15. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Really? I think he was talking about the old MBP, which should be considerably cheaper than a new MBA and a lot slower. :)