2013 MBA SSD Replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kart, Jun 10, 2015.

1. kart macrumors member

Looking to replace the original 128gb SSD in my 1.3GHz Mid 2013 MBA (MacBook Air 6,2)

Anyone have any suggestions? Looking at getting a 256-512gb, not too picky, will just come down to price. I am also located in Australia, but am happy to get something posted out of the US. Please let us know..

Cheers

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nobody makes an aftermarket replacement drive for that 2013 model. You only option is going to be finding a 256 or 512 model on eBay or similar that someone pulled out of en existing machine.

3. robeddie macrumors 68000

robeddie

Transcend was supposedly going to make one, and release it this year. But I talked with one of the company reps just the other day and they said it had been delayed because they haven't been able to find a supplier for the PCIe connector that it requires.
    At this point, they're saying they still intend to release compatible drives, but that it probably won't be until 2016.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is no commercially available PCIe SSD controller+firmware solution yet, that's why. Once SandForce SF3700 and Silicon Motion SM2260 ship sometime next year we may see aftermarket PCIe SSDs for Macs.