2013 MBA Virtualbox Saints Row 4 Error (graphics?)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Zekone, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Zekone, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013

Zekone macrumors newbie

hey guys,

I tried installing Saints Row 4 on Windows 7 through VirtualBox and all went smoothly. All the files seem to be there but when I try running the game it gives me an error like "Failed to create graphics device."

Any ideas on the fix? Probably has something to with the graphics/drivers, but I'm not sure where to look.

Thanks in advance

edit: Tried CS:GO also, it doesn't even get to open. Just crashes immediately.

2. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

Not sure how well you expect it to run, but running it in a virtual machine, on a MBA to boot, even if you manage to start the game, expect a slideshow.

You really should use bootcamp for this purpose ;)

3. Chub macrumors member

I don't have much experience with Virtual Box but the graphic drivers used in Virtual Box probably aren't supported by Saints Row IV.

Your best bet as mentioned above would be to install Bootcamp, either way gaming on a MacBook Air isn't great especially when you are talking about the latest games.

4. Zekone thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah I guess I was just sticking with virtualbox because it's free, and I can swipe through windows and mac in full screen.

but still, if the virtual machine is using the same resources, how would it run better in bootcamp? idk

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Virtual Machines will get about 50% the performance of Boot Camp. That's if it runs. VirtualBox drivers usually cannot run 3D as well as Parallels or VMware Fusion but if you really want to run the game, run it in Boot Camp. You get 100% resources dedicated

6. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Vitualbox = low end windows emulation

Saints Row = newly released high end game

Likelihood of success = next to zero

7. lamboman macrumors 6502

Video acceleration as a whole in VirtualBox is experimental - particularly 3D. I've found 3D acceleration to be unusable with Windows 7 on my iMac, but that's just me.

Your best bet is to use Parallels if you really want to virtualise, but otherwise, save your time and money and just Boot Camp.