2013 MBA with dual monitors - possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by riverjetties, Sep 18, 2015.

1. riverjetties macrumors newbie

I have a 2013 MBA and would like to run two Dell U2414H and have them in portrait mode for software development. I'd like it to recognize it as a single screen. Is this possible? I currently have an older Dell monitor and worked ok but it drops about once an hour.

Like this:

[​IMG]

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I also have a 2013 MBA and it will not drive 2 displays directly (with the exception of the Apple Thunderbolt Display). But you want something a little specialized (if I understand correctly). You want the desktop to span two different monitors. I think this can be done with a Matrox product called "DualHead2Go".

Try doing a forum search for this, it was discussed in several threads a few years ago.

3. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

It can be done, but I'm not 100% sure on the rotation deal.

I've got a 13" 2015 MBA along with a Dual Head 2 Go and it will combine 2x 1080P monitors into one single display (from the computers side of things), but I haven't tried it vertically yet.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure it can rotate using OS X's display preferences, but since it's spanned it would do something like this: [​IMG]

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Haha, you are probably right. I was interested in driving two monitors for Final Cut Pro, but the Matrox can't really do that because they need to be treated as two separate screens and not an extended desktop.

The other approach would be to use a USB monitor adapter. Have never tried one myself and have read some conflicting reports in the past. I gather there can be significant latency which would make them unsuitable for things like video editing or games. But maybe that wouldn't be a problem for the OP's application?

When I looked into this all of the USB adapters were USB 2.0. There may be USB 3.0 versions now with faster response time.

5. Left4DeadBoy macrumors regular

Left4DeadBoy

It just was done. I mean, those pictures tell the story. Not the yellow pictures. Those blue pictures.