2013 MBP Retina - Which CPU?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Windows&Apple, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

Hello everyone!

I have a few questions. I'm looking to buy a 2013 MBP Retina and I'm aiming for the 15" model. I've decided to go with the high-end because I do some video editing (probably will do more in the future). I'm just wondering if I should go up to the 2.6Ghz CPU, and if I do that, will it effect battery life?. These are the specs:

• 2.6Ghz Quad-Core i7
    • 16GB RAM
    • 750M 2GB + Iris Pro
    • 512GB PCI-E

And these are my requirements:

• Should be able to play modern games at a decent FPS
    • Be able to run windows with good battery life
    • Should be able to run Adobe Suite and Logic Pro
    • And most importantly of all; should still have good preformence in 4-5 years.

Does this machine fit my needs?

Thanks!

----------

Also, if anyone's wondering, I'm going to be using the student discount, so the total price of this machine will be $2650 or somewhere near there. Without the 2.6Ghz upgrade, it's $2480 or somewhere near there. I just though, if 100 or so get's me a better computer in the long-run, why not?

2. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

I don't think the 300MHz will make much difference.
    I'm in the same boat and will be buying the top end system very soon, I'll also be using the educational discount but here in the UK it works out at £2,575 - we get savagely ripped off here.
    It won't be great for gaming in 4-5 years, I doubt much will.
    I would recommend the too spec minus the very top CPU, it's just not really worth it. The 1TB SSD is a good choice I think. But it's your money and I'm sure you'll be happy either way.

3. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I was thinking. For $200, I could buy a CPU for my desktop and make it somewhat useable. The 1TB isn't in my interest, I got an external harddrive I use, but it'll be nice to have 512GB of useable space.

Still, anymore comments on this topic?

4. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

I do heavy video editing - FinalCutX, 1-3hours daily
    & am just leaning towards the base. .3 is not looking like a significant difference

5. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

So that's a no to the 2.6Ghz. I guess I'll go stock and maybe pick up a nexus 5 with the money I saved. Thanks!!