2013 MPB won't charge--odd situation...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RoyalBlue, Sep 27, 2015.

  1. RoyalBlue macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2015
    #1
    My wife spilled water on the computer. We dried it off (removed the back and everything) and let it sit 24 hours. It started up just fine. However, the battery died during use and won't charge. When we plug in the magsafe charger, it turns green, then orange, then fades to a very dim color (and stops charging). Unplugging and replugging won't bring back the color on the charger cord. However, if I plug it into my Macbook Air, then plug it into the MBP, the color on the charger comes back (only to fade away and stop charging again).

    Does anyone have any ideas? I cannot do the SMC reset because the battery is dead. I can get the blinking light on the charge level indicator, but that's it.
     
  2. rigormortis, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

    rigormortis macrumors 68000

    rigormortis

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #2
    i had the same problem. i was covered under square trade, and they nearly totaled out my macbook air coverage and replaced the motherboard.



    if the battery is dead. and the computer cannot boot while it is unplugged. well. you just performed a smc reset.

    the smc controller is a area of ram that stores certain settings while that circuit receives power. as long as the computer is plugged in, and turned off, energy is being fed to keep that ram alive.

    the smc is different then pram, pram is nvram or eeprom or what they call flash memory that keeps certain settings when the computer is turned off and unplugged.

    in this situation all you can really do is take the back cover off, and disconnect the battery ( while the computer is unplugged of course ) from the logic board , wait 10 seconds to 60 seconds and reconnect the battery. the reason why you have to wait 60 seconds ( or hold the power button ) down is to make sure you drain any residual energy from the capacitors, because that is enough energy to keep the ram contents alive
     

Share This Page