2013 or 2012 rmbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nick676, Oct 17, 2013.

1. nick676 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm looking at getting a new 15 inch rmbp in the next few weeks, but am struggling to decide which model to get. Apart from battery life, is there likely to be any other main advantages with the haswell model?

I need a machine with 500 gig storage, so my choices are either get the lower end haswell, and upgrade the HD, which will be around 1700GBP before upgrading the hard drive.alternatively, there are a couple of places already selling the higher end 2012 model for 1650GBP, which already has 512gig hard drive, as well as 16gig of ram.

What's the best option? I'm not sure battery life is a huge deal for me.

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Wait to see if new models are announced at Tuesday's event.

Edit: Oh, I see you're aware of the rumored Haswell changes. My advice still stands. Wait to see what the base models offer.

Then IMO you're using the wrong platform. Apple is clearly headed toward low-powered, long-lasting macs.

3. nick676, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

nick676 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.my post is a bit unclear actually!I mean to compare the current, early 2013 model with what's likely to come out next week. If they're going to increase the RAM and HD on the base models, that would be ideal, but it's unlikely.

Although battery life isn't a massive deal, I still like the combination of power and portability offered by the MacBook.

4. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Wait anyway :) If Apple releases new Macs and you dont really like the specs, the older ones will go on sale! And at this time of year it might even be smart to wait until black friday to save a hundred or so on the computer

5. nick676 thread starter macrumors newbie

true, I'll wait and see.

Hopefully I'll still be able to find good deals on the Feb 13 model once the new one is on sale. If the configurations stay largely the same, I can't see the lower spec Haswell model being any faster than the high end model from February, unless there are massive performance gains with the graphics.

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

If you're looking to save money, go with the early-2013 rMBP. Otherwise, the rMBPs that are about to come out are a complete winner.