2013 Post Report Statistics

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by HexMonkey, Jan 5, 2014.

1. HexMonkey, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014

HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

This is the fourth public set of post report statistics, covering all of 2013.

Previous post report statistics:

About post reports

The forums are maintained by a small group of moderators whose aim is to keep them enjoyable and free from problems. There are thousands of posts every day, and the moderators don't have time to review all of them. We instead rely on post reports that bring particular posts or threads to the moderators' attention.

Post reports are submitted by members by using the report post icon ([​IMG]), located at the bottom left of each post. You can use this any time you want to get the attention of a moderator, not just if you think a particular post violates a rule (for example, if you want a moderator to move or delete your own post, or if you want to bring attention to a thread in general). The moderation team will review every report, although in some cases we determine that no action is necessary. You won't get a reply to a post report, but we are still grateful that you alerted us to a potential problem.

About the post report statistics

Since 2006, I've produced post report statistics for the moderators and administrators. These statistics assist us in a number of ways, for example to highlight problem areas that we need to address, or to tell us when and at what times we're in need of new moderators. More recently, we decided to release a subset of these statistics publicly, for the interest of our members (we don't release certain statistics publicly, such as those that identify individual members).

2013 post report summary

• Number of post reports: 28789
    • Mean per day: 78.9
    • Max per day: 166
    • Min per day: 19
    • Number of post reporters: 3103
    • Number of reported members: 15250
    • Number of posts reported: 24603
    • Number of threads with a post reported: 17601

There were 28789 reported posts in 2012, at a rate of 78.9/day. The lowest (19) was on November 12, when the forums were being restored following a security breach; otherwise, the lowest on a single day was 30. 1.2% of posts made in 2013 were reported, and 10.3% of threads had at least one post reported. There were fewer reports towards the end of the year, which is partly seasonal: there tend to be fewer reports in the northern hemisphere winter, and more in summer. The graph below shows the trend in post reports since 2006.

[​IMG]
    Time of day

There were two busy periods of the day: the main one peaking between 10 AM and 5 PM PST, corresponding with the North American day, and a second between 11 PM and 2 AM PST. The quietest times were between 4 and 6 AM PST. The busiest hour (10 - 11 AM) had just over twice as many reports as the quietest hour (5 - 6 AM).

[​IMG]

Reported forums

The MacRumors.com News Discussion forum had the most reports, overtaking the iPhone forum. Big movers included the new iOS 7 forum, which debuted as the third most reported forum, Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks (+33) and iOS 6 (-13). The top 20 forums by number of post reports were as follows; deltas are in comparison with figures from 2012.

Code:
    Rank	Delta	Forum					Reports  Percentage
    ----	-----	---------------------------------------	-------- ----------
    1	+1	MacRumors.com News Discussion		3910	13.6%
    2	-1	iPhone					3535	12.3%
    3	new	iOS 7					1984	6.9%
    4	+1	Community Discussion			1591	5.5%
    5	-2	iPad					1423	4.9%
    6	-2	MacBook Pro				1281	4.5%
    7	+1	Politics, Religion, Social Issues	1094	3.8%
    8	-2	Mac Applications and Mac App Store	908	3.2%
    9	+33	Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks		771	2.7%
    10	+7	Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices	753	2.6%
    11	+1	MacBook Air				660	2.3%
    12	-2	Mac Basics and Help			623	2.2%
    13	+1	Marketplace				591	2.1%
    14	+6	Mac Pro					563	2.0%
    15	-6	iMac					511	1.8%
    16	-3	iPhone and iPod touch Apps		469	1.6%
    17	-6	iPhone Accessories			455	1.6%
    18	+10	iOS Blog Discussion			388	1.3%
    19	-3	Buying Tips and Advice			381	1.3%
    20	-13	iOS 6					370	1.3%
    Post reporters

3103 members reported posts in 2013. Of these members, 51% reported just one post, while 90% made 10 or fewer reports each. The top 10% of reporters made 78% of all reports, with the top ten reporters alone making 32% of all reports - an average of 932 each.

[​IMG]

Report reasons

Moderators deal with a wide range of issues when handling post reports. The graph below shows some of the common issues and how the breakdown has changed over time. Spam remains the most common reason, but was less common in the second half of the year after peaking in the first half. For the other categories, the most noticeable trend is a steady but substantial decrease in reports about duplicate or double posts.

[​IMG]

The issues also varied by time of day. For most issues, the distribution was similar, and mainly followed the North American day. The exception was for spam, which was reported more during the North American night, primarily due to the location in which most of the spam originates. This is also a key cause of the second peak in the Time of day chart above.

[​IMG]

Reported threads

Some threads, particularly long or controversial ones, have a large number of posts reported. 73% of threads containing a reported post received just one report, while 97 threads received more than 10 reports. The most reported thread for the year was Waiting for Haswell MBP Mega Thread (54 reports), followed by iOS 7: All The Little Things! (Featuring iOS 7.1) (50 reports).

Attached Files:

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Interesting how the Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks forum jumped up 33 points this time.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I find it surprising that the "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices" forum doesn't have a higher percentages of reports, given the strongly differing opinions many members have about their platform(s) of choice.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm also surprised that the PRSI forum is as low as it is.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

I almost feel like reporting this thread for promotion and trolling. :D ;) JK.

By the way, from the OP:
    The busiest hour (10 - 11 AM) had just over twice times as many reports as the quietest hour (5 - 6 AM).
    Please delete word hilited in red.

... or should I report the post?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm guessing we reached a level of equilibrium where Android folks mostly post there and leave the iOS folks alone and vice versa.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While I know statistics aren't released that identify any particular member, can you reveal how many reports were made by the top reporter, without revealing a name? Or a count of reports made by the top 5 or 10 reporters, without revealing names?

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Thank goodness....

9. HexMonkey thread starter Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

I don't know what you're talking about. My writing is perfect and I would never make such a mistake. :cool:

We prefer not to release information that could help people determine their relative ranking, because we don't want to make it a competition (technically, someone could keep track of how many reports they have made, and then compare). Those who have reported a significant number of posts over the year can contact me by PM and I can provide individual statistics, but these do not include rank.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You make good points. It was just a curiosity question. Thanks!

11. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Personally I only ever report Spam. I hope it helps the administrators and mods out as without there hard work we wouldn't have such a great forum.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It sure does! We appreciate the Post Reports regarding spam (and all others too) which helps keep the forums clear of, well, spam.

13. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Glad to help out. A new avatar for a new year I see. Keep meaning to update mine but never get round to it.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yeah, I felt like trying something different. :)

15. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

So am I, frankly, I'm flabbergasted. I really would have thought the counts for those sections to be much higher than stated!