2013 Retina MBP 15" heat issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by natted, Mar 11, 2013.

1. natted macrumors newbie

natted

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question about heat.

I recently bought a 2013 15" rMBP - 2.7Ghz, 16GB, 512GB SSD model.

I'm just browsing and downloading files via Dropbox (nothing else open, clean install) and this thing is hitting 100 deg C. The fan then kicks in and the temperature drops to 90 deg (then the temp slowly walks back up to 100 deg).

Is this normal? I mean, I was expecting it might run hot but the keyboard on this thing right now is really hot while barely using the thing. I'd hate to see what happens when I start to compile code or play a game.

Can anyone else advise what temps to expect from the 2.7Ghz model with light to moderate usage?

Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

hitting 100c just downloading is not normal. Try resetting the SMC, as its possible the fans are not going causing the heat increase

3. Veradun macrumors member

I have the same model as you and my average operating temperatures hover around 50 degrees C. Highest temperature I've hit is 82 degrees C, around that, and that was playing HD video. Reaching 100 degrees just downloading something isn't normal behaviour at all. Try smcFanControl out and manually adjust the fans to spin at higher RPMs. Failing that, do an SMC reset. If all else fails go have it checked by a Genius at your local Apple Store. If you're still within your 14 day return period, you can just have it swapped out for a new laptop if they deem it faulty - no questions asked. It does seem to me that you got a lemon.

4. natted thread starter macrumors newbie

natted

Not really sure what to make of it.

I reset the SMC last night and it didn't seem to make any difference. Temps ramped up again after general use.

Left the machine on overnight and now today it's running at 50 deg...

Hopefully it was just a temporary issue.

5. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

My keyboard burns too. Same model. Hate it XD

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's possible you have more running than you think. Follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
      (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

7. natted thread starter macrumors newbie

natted

I tracked the issue down by monitoring the cpu usage and processes and it was actually dropbox eating the cpu like a demon.

Not sure if it is a bug when syncing a ton of small files. I read somewhere that dropbox may calc/check the hash (for each file on download perhaps?). I also saw in the dropbox changelog that in the past there was a 100% CPU usage bug, so maybe related...

Once the sync finished I did a reboot again now dropbox is playing nice, even when syncing new files.

CPU now sits at around 50 deg, which is much better. Really loving the machine.

Thanks for the help.

8. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

Is it useful, if we could 'remove' any unwanted 'services' running in the background?

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Hey natted, glad you figured it out. Some innocent programs can sometimes use a lot of CPU cycles.

I just wanted to add that if you download your Dropbox folder for the first time, it will also trigger spotlight to index the files, which will add a bit more load to the system. Fortunately you don't do this every day ;)