2013 rMBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jan1024188, Jun 30, 2013.

1. jan1024188, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

jan1024188 macrumors member

Hello,

I have 2012 rMBP 15" and Im eagerly waiting for 2013 model. You may be wondering, why is that?

Well, I like my current rMBP except for 2 things.
    1.) I was unfortunate enough mine came with LG rather than Samsung display. It has a horrible case of screen ghosting (eg. if I leave 1 website open for a minute, and switch to another website, the layout of old website remains ghosted on a screen for a while.). The colors aren't very good either.

2.) It has non-US keyboard. I never use my native language anyway, I use US layout. And all the keys are scrambled...which is not really a problem, since Im a touch typist, but if I look down to the keys I always get confused. (special characters get me sometimes, like ^, & and (). )

2.1.) Wouldn't mind extra hour of battery life from haswell.

I usually upgrade laptops every 4 years, BUT I'm going to Canada in 2 weeks, so this gives me an interesting opportunity to buy a mac for cheap. Yes, you head me right, its CHEAP.

The rMBP 15" is $1700 in america, while in my ****** country with super high taxes, many distributes and apple re-sellers, it becomes $3300-$3350. Which is ridiculous.

So Ill be in Canada for a month, giving me 1 and a half month window to scoop one up. The only problem is, it isn't released yet.

Since it wasn't announced at WWDC, I think chances for summer release are slim. I expect them to come in September, which would be too late.

What do you think? Do I stand a chance of flying home with new mbp?

2. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

How long are you staying in Canada? It seems like you're out of luck, as the rMBP will probably not be released in two weeks...

3. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Why can't you get your LG screen replaced under warranty?

4. jan1024188 thread starter macrumors member

There is no apple store in my country, so I have no warranty.

5. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

it seems like you are from india:D well i paid $3000+ for my top speced retina early 2013. The first box they opened i saw 2 dents and asked them to replace they said its not so visible sir. I made them replace it and for that they had to speak to people over the phone for 20 minutes and finally got it replaced. The one i got has a samsung display:cool: no issues only hardware tests gives me the '4hhd data error' the macs just 3 days old so i called customer support and told them of the issue they said take it in for service i said its 3 days old and they spoke to seniors whosaid go to service diagnose if hardware issue they will issue a dead on arrival certificate so you can go to your reseller and get a replacement.:D
    My previous macbook pro had a tonne of issues so the customer relations in singapore is sending a replacement for it.
    You just need to speak to customer service politely and they will help you in every way possible.

6. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

Hello Jan. Unfortunately I think you won't be able to get the Haswell rMBP as that is scheduled for later in the year. As far as your machine, I would contact customer service and see what they can do for your current model. Apple has the best customer service so just be kind and patient and they should be able to help you out.

7. jan1024188 thread starter macrumors member

No I'm from some ****** country in south EU. If I manage to get it 'fixed' thru warranty Ill probably get it back in even more sorry ass state as is. So no thanks.

8. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

We are only trying to help you. Good luck!

9. Randy-Marsh macrumors newbie

Honestly, your guess is as good as anyone else's here. People can be logical and try and work out when they think it may come out, but truth is you'll just have to find out when you get there.

As another poster suggested, I would have taken it back to apple to have screen replaced with one of the newer LG screens or the Samsungs.

10. Memole macrumors member

does your country have apple premium reseller?
    if it does then they should fix you everything even though you bought apple from canada or US.

I am from lame balkan country with high tax rates and such and when i have brought my ipad in USA it have included 1 year international waranty, and i had some minnor issues with display took it to apple premium reseller to fix my ipad and they have repaired it without any issues :) and of course no charge at all as it was all under waranty :)

11. jan1024188 thread starter macrumors member

I think we may be from same country. The reseller I bought from I've had super bad experience when I bought something broken from them. Took 3 months of effort, they didn't want to fix it or replace it on end (bought gopro3 camera which has issues recording sound). They would probably just laugh at me if I tried to use warranty for screen ghosting.

12. bill-p macrumors 68000

If you are in Canada, I'm sure you can send your MacBook to an Apple Store and have them replace the display.

Apple does officially recognize screen ghosting as a problem, and they'll happily replace the display for you. Mine originally came with an LG display, too, and now I have a Samsung display that hasn't shown any ghosting... for more than 6 months.

13. Memole macrumors member

well still if you buy a macbook in canada you will still end cheaper than at your local reseller :)

if i where in your shoes i would buy a early 2013 rMBP 15" in Canada if Apple doesn't update laptop in that time... as you will save in your pocket up to 500 USD :)

I do travel frequently to USA ( 10+ times per year ) and every Apple product i had brought in USA where so far so good ( only iPAD had some small issues )

Also I am not sure about Canada, but in United States you have a 14 day return period if u even find some issues about your rMBP you can get your money back :)

14. jan1024188 thread starter macrumors member

I'd save more like $1300+. Which is more than plane ticket. I would probably buy haswell based non mac if new mbp's aren't released.

15. jan1024188 thread starter macrumors member

I'm thinking about getting a Lenovo X1 and putting Arch Linux on it. Tho MacBook is really really good, I've always got my work done in reliable and convenient fashion... I guess Ill pick whichever comes with haswell first.

16. sofianito, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013

sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Portugal, Malta ?

I think Apple warranty is international. I bought my late 2007 17" MBP in San Antonio / Texas and got the mother board replaced here in Spain.

17. jan1024188 thread starter macrumors member

Yea, but no apple store in this country. Just criminal resellers.

18. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

hey mate even we have only apple resellers here in India and i did manage to find two good AASP. As i said before my previous cMbp had lots of parts changed and whenever i asked the AASP for a replacement they smiled and said "In India theres nothing as replacement only repairs" I spoke to apple care and they said the same but put me through customer relations, they asked for a last chance to repair i gave them the chance and it failed within 24hrs so they just dispatched a new laptop from Singapore, since they do not have a replacement facility in India.
    You could try the same.

19. macNwindow macrumors member

to be honest, your chances of flying home with a new mbp is about %5. Lets say the the haswell mbp are going to be release in 10-14 days from now. Supplies would be tight for at least another 5 months before you can get your hands one. But lets say you got one, what if it had defects. That means you will have to return it, wait more and probably will take them a while to ship you a new replacement anyways. So if I were you, stick with what you got or trade your current mbp for a US keyboard mbp.

20. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

I was thinking that here in Bulgaria prices are mad. For example current Feb 13" retina 2.6/256 is 3450 lv (~$2270). At US :apple: store is $1699, but you can find it for ~$1200 in USA. Here the only way to get discount is for old stock model when new model is released and the discount is ~$150 :)

(average salary is ~$650/month)

Obviously there is always deeper **** to go in...

21. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

2013 rMBP 15"

Prices here in Brazil are even worse. The low end 13" rMBP costs US$ 3,000 and the high end costs US$ 3,500. Yes, for each Mac you buy here in Brazil, you can buy two of them at the US Apple Store. Beat that!

Oh, and by the way, the average salary here is no better than in Bulgaria...

22. LiveinRiot macrumors member

It's a shame... =/ I saw one in the fastshop yesterday, and it's very very very very very overpriced. Anyway, it's nice to see brazilians in this forum.

I'm in doubt to buy a retina 13 or 15 inch. What do you suggest for me? I'll love to playing games, but the form factor of 13" is ****ing great.

23. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

13" can still play games, with lower settings of course.

24. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I've got the 15-inch and I don't regret it. It is definitely the best laptop that I have ever had. I was thinking of buying the 13-inch, but then I decided to go for the 15-inch. I was very much in doubt in the end. The 15-inch is thinner, not much heavier, and has a better processor and video card. In the end, I found it quite portable, although the 13-inch is even more. But both laptops are great.

If I were you, I would wait for the Haswell versions, with improved battery life. If playing games is an issue for you, you should go for a model with a dedicated graphics card, although Haswell will bring improvements in this area as well.