2013 rMBP - battery issues...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daveedjackson, May 15, 2015.

1. daveedjackson macrumors member

Hey there,

Wonder if anyone else is having similar issues.

I have an early 2013 rMBP and recently the battery seems to be behaving strangely.

It sometimes dies out of the blue with 46% charge. I can plug it in, and then unplug it and it does exactly the same. I did a pram reset and things have been fine, dying at the typical 2% or 1% but then today, it randomly died at 17%. Plugged it in, and when it resumed, it was at 16%. Not sure what to do with it's out of warranty - but pretty sure a battery should not do this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
    D

2. Anand953 macrumors regular

Sounds strange.. Better go to Apple support centre to get it fixed.. Do you have a warranty?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues, so resetting it will not help. For power or charging issues, try resetting the SMC.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

4. daveedjackson thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate that this wouldn't usually help - however in this case it did - the next charge after the pram reset worked fine. Anyway - i will try the SMC reset.

The link doesn't answer anything specifically about this issue other than telling me the battery would not be covered under the warranty.

Cheers
    David

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It was likely the reboot that affected the issue, as there is nothing in NVRAM associated with battery, power or charging. Information stored in NVRAM can include:
    • Speaker volume
    • Screen resolution
    • Startup disk selection
    • Recent kernel panic information, if any
    How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac
    The link didn't say batteries are not covered. They are covered if they are determined to be defective.

6. daveedjackson thread starter macrumors member

Apologies, yes it told me how to reset the SMC. Not sure how it would be determined that the battery is defective, especially since the laptop is almost 2 years old - and apple usually put everything down to wear and tear. Anyway if it persists i will take it to the genius bar - it's just an odd glitch.

Thanks for your help.

D

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You could use Coconut Battery to check the health of your battery.

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/