2013 rMBP Bootcamp Performance: Battlefield 4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -BigMac-, Apr 22, 2014.

1. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

Hi Guys.

I would like to know, who has played Battlefield 4 on the newest 15inch 2.3ghz Retina Macbook Pro.

More specifically, what settings and fps are you achieving? Is it playable?

I realise this should have been under Bootcamp Threads, but it targets the Macbook Pro specifically, so thought i'd put it here :)

Thank you very much :)

2. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

I've played BF4, CoH2, CSGO, CoD4, R2TW, WoT, Civ 5 and they all run well.

For BF4 with the latest Nvidia beta drivers I run on a mix of High and Ultra (might just want to leave it on High) and a 1680x1050 resolution. Usually sits high 40's with 35FPS min but can easily shoot up into the 50's and 60's.
    Just don't go overboard with the AA, I usually just use FXAA - I know it's not great but it's a pretty good compromise. Just go into the test arena area and play around with your settings, I have played it on ultra just for a laugh and it was just about playable. I recommend High with FXAA and 16xAF, looks great and the FPS is solid.

I'm just itching to get my hands on a Maxwell based rMBP for the easy 50% FPS boost!

3. -BigMac- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

mmm 35-40fps is really not ideal for a FPS i dont think..

What does the FPS go to if youre playing medium settings please?

4. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

If you're playing on a console, you're usually not getting much more than that. The human eye can't detect anything above 24FPS anyways, so you really run into the law of diminishing returns if you go much higher than that on framerates. Framerates make for great benchmarks and comparisons, but they don't reflect how the user will actually perceive what's onscreen.

5. -BigMac- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

according to some stats, 60fps is reaching the upper limit of human eye detection, not 24fps.. 24fps would look very laggy

http://www.cameratechnica.com/2011/11/21/what-is-the-highest-frame-rate-the-human-eye-can-perceive/

6. yjchua95, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014

yjchua95 macrumors 604

Most movies (including blockbusters) are shot at 24fps.

I never liked HFR variants of movies (30 fps and above) because it doesn't highlight motion as well and looks pretty abrupt and static in some cases.

However, I have no trouble distinguishing between 60 and 120.

7. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

That's just total and utter nonsense. I have a 120Hz display and I can tell the difference between 60FPS and 120FPS easily.
    The difference between 24 or 30FPS and 60FPS is massive.
    Please don't go spreading that rubbish. The reason movies use 24FPS is because it was the best compromise between using as little film as possible while maintaining fluid motion, things like motion blur then also help. Now we are just used to seeing movies at 24FPS and like it. But no way is 24FPS the limit for human eyesight, there isn't really 'a limit' as we don't process images that way, but I guarantee I can easily see a difference between 30/60/120FPS. Nothing grinds my tech gears more than people saying 'human eyesight can't go perceive anything above 30FPS or whatever' just please read up on it before you post totally incorrect information.

For me I can game at lower FPS and like I said that was 35 FPS minimum. I've seen it hit 60FPS at some points. I'll try it at all medium settings with FXAA, 16 x AF and 1680x1050 for you.

8. -BigMac- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

Amazing response, and thank you for taking your time to reply and even offer to try the different settings for me, more than what i expected to get from asking here :) looking forward to the results :D

9. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

No problem, someone was kind enough to do the same for me when I was waiting for my rMBP to arrive. Just let me know if there's anything else I can test for you.

OK so just played a round on Golmud Railway, 64player. All Medium default settings + FXAA + 16xAF. My min FPS was 53, average 60 and saw it often go over 70FPS. So yes extremely playable on medium settings and still looks very good tbh. I play BF4 mainly on PS4 anyway. I'm using Nvidia's latest Beta drivers though which do increase performance on DX11 games, but the WHQL version should be out soon enough I imagine. Was playing CoH2 last night with all the eye candy turned up to max in a 4v4 match online, I'm not sure what my FPS was but it felt very smooth - the new Beta driver has really helped.

I think when the Maxwell version eventually releases (probably not until the very end of this year or start of next year) we will have perfect gaming performance. Right now it's definitely very good though.

10. -BigMac- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

That sounds amazing. wow 60fps average :) .. I wanted to know so i can decide whether or not it is worthwhile for me to install bootcamp, and go through the whole install/updating phase of BF4, which you know, can take hours. So was definitely worth asking :)

Thanks heaps for doing the tests for me, life saver :D

11. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

You're very welcome, really wasn't exaggerating about the FPS, I was even thinking that I needed to turn VSync on (oh just imagine if Apple included GSync with the next rMBP :p). Will be playing BF4 on Medium now, just feels amazing to be on a Macbook Pro playing at those sorts of framerates (you should see the groups that stand behind me at the uni library like oh wow your playing BF4 on your Mac how did you do that? lol). Yeh I copied the BF4 install files from my friends computer onto my memory stick - saved me hours of downloading.

I imagine playing on maps like Operation Locker or on lower player count servers the FPS would be even higher. Oh and I was playing on the WiFi and getting around 30ms - 50ms ping. Enjoy gaming :)