2013 rMBP processor update worth exchange?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rtay, Feb 25, 2013.

  1. rtay macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2010
    #1
    I just bought a new retina at my school since the price drop, but they sold me one with the 2.5 GHz processor. Do you think it is worth the hassle to exchange it out? Is the processor bump going to help speeds out at all, and is there new production techniques that may help make the screen less faulty?

    Edit: Forgot to mention I did buy the 256Gb version, which is supposed to come with the updated process
     
  2. Spink10 macrumors 601

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #2
    I would exchange - just want what I paid for.
     
  3. maxosx macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2012
    Location:
    Southern California
    #3
    Best practice is to determine the configuration that best suits your needs. Buy it, and let go of any obsessions dictating that you "must have" the absolute newest. Currently the difference is very minor & will make only the slightest change. Certainly not enough to bother with.
     
  4. xShane macrumors 6502a

    xShane

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2012
    Location:
    United States
    #4
    If you want to replace your machine every time a minor upgrade comes out, you'll probably be doing so with every refresh. I seriously doubt you'll notice the difference between 2.5GHz and 2.x (i.e. 2.6, 2.7, etc.).

    Very rarely are there major game changing updates. However, over the course of 3-5 years, all the "little" updates add up, making it worth it to buy a new machine every 3-5 years. But replacing every single refresh? That's a bit absurd.
     
  5. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

    jfyrfytr25

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2008
    #5
    well it depends. what did you pay? I was at the apple store today and they still had the 2.5GHz models with 256GB and they were $1599. where as if you wanted the 2.6GHz model it was $1699.

    So, if they will refund the $100, I would keep what I had since 100Mhz is not going to do anything. But, if they would not do that, I would return the old one and get the new one since it is the same price.

    FYI, i bought one after the price drop (2.5 with 128) and i had bad Image retention & the case creaked. I exchanged it for the 2.6 because i wanted a bigger drive and this one is great and seems like a better build quality.
     
  6. iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2012
    #6
    the 100 Mhz was a difference of 700 pts on my geek bench score lol, I have had both and returned my 2.5 for the 2.6 since I was still in the 14 day window
     
  7. Spink10 macrumors 601

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #7
    good job - only makes sense.
     
  8. Sean76 macrumors 6502

    Sean76

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2013
    Location:
    NYC
    #8
    @ the OP...

    I was in your shoes and was driving myself nuts...

    In the last 2 weeks I went through a few of the 2.5 variants and after getting a few lemons was dead set on waiting for the 2.6...

    That was until my sales guy that I deal with quite often at J & R music world in NYC gave me a call and got me a 2012 2.5 for a really good price. I told him if it has any screen problems or creaks, etc...It was going right back to the store!

    knock on wood its been just fine and I havent had any issues, and everyone I spoke with gave me the same answer...that this speed increase would be something that wouldn't even put the slightest dent in what I use my machine for. So IMO I saved a nice chunk of change and really decided to just enjoy my machine and keep it movin...
     

Share This Page