2013 rMPB Storage Options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sailor720, Oct 27, 2013.

1. sailor720 macrumors newbie

I am looking at upgrading my 2007 macbook (2.0, 2gb, 250gb) sometime soonish. My main complaints with my current machine are: its getting sluggish and losing compatibility (both possibly fixable with SL upgrade), my screen is and always has been horrible both in quality and I want more resolution, and my hard drive is too small for my media library (mostly pictures and music).

Looking at the 2013 rMPB options, I have to spend $1800 for the highest spec 13" to get more than 256gb of internal storage this seems ridiculous. I do not need the speed of an ssd and would prefer a large capacity HD, is there any chance HDs will be available to put in the rMBPs anytime soon or would I still be paying a slightly less high price for a big SSD in a few months?

I am not a power user, mostly internet, music with some office type work and light picture editing. I value screen quality and space very highly and speed boosts are pretty marginal for my usage. Is or will their be a reasonably priced new apple solution for me, or do I need to go the used 15" route?

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Well that's ridiculous to say you don't need the speed of an SSD. Apple is going SSD-only now, and it's a big difference. Even for the most basic users. Hard disk drives will definitely not be returning.

3. Vanillian macrumors member

I would say there is a 0% chance of Apple putting a non ssd harddrive in the retina pro. If you need something with more storage at lower cost you could look to a newer but still used MBP, or just consider going with a 256GB rMBP but buying an external harddrive.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

There is no chance that an internal HDD will become available for the 13'' rMBP. If 256 GB internal storage are not sufficient, you either have to look into external storage options or pay more for the 512 options.

Or you can buy the 13'' cMBP.

5. caa4444 macrumors member

you're more than fine with the min SSD size + an external HD for your media

larger SSD for media really isn't worth it with USB 3.0 externals

6. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Get a small SSD & USB 3.0 or thunderbolt external HDD for your media.