2013 Time Capsule - Boot into time Machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by opinio, Jul 16, 2013.

1. opinio macrumors 65816

Up until I bought the latest 2013 Time Capsule (TC) recently I use to have a straight forward USB3.0 drive plugged into my Mac mini for my Time Machine. Now I use the new TC (i.e. through the network (Gigabit)). When I needed in the past to load a Time Machine backup back onto a new/raw drive I would just boot into the actual TM drive and load it from there. That was convenient because it use to load up the recovery drive etc.

I am just wondering now with the TC setup how do I load a complete OS plus recovery drive onto a raw/new drive? Can I boot into the Time Machine on the TC like I could with the 'old' USB3.0 config I had? Or do I need to run Internet recovery on a raw drive and load from there? If so will the later give me the recovery drive from the TM backup as well?

Just wondering all this in the event I need to do some work so I want to figure out the TC's limitations now if any and also the best way to restore from it.

I understand other options of loading from a USB recovery drive and another boot disk etc. I am just wondering if you can do it all from a TC like I could with the old USB3.0 config.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can't, you need to either boot into the Recovery partition or use your system disk if you have an older version of OSX.

3. opinio thread starter macrumors 65816

I suspected that would be the answer. :(

Thanks for the quick reply.

4. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

I usually have a USB drive plugged into my Time Capsule. This makes the initial backup faster, and when needing to restore, it would be faster. For the normal incremental backups it would be connected to the Time Capsule and would normally.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Source