2013 vs 2014 15" macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hassan.sadozye, Nov 28, 2014.

1. hassan.sadozye macrumors newbie

Ok guys i m planning to buy the 15 inch rmbp base model from late 2013. Will be my first ever mac system. I have seen numerous people complaining about screen issues on 15 inch models and since i live in a country where apple has no store nor macbook is officially released, so a bit hesitant to spend 2000 bucks on faulty unit which will be a pain for me to replace.

I know electronics can get faulty but wht i am trying to ask tht were the screen issues a persistent problem in 2013 15 inch macbooks? I can go for 2014 version too but the waiting period is 2 months and i dont want to wait tht long. So guys wht do u people suggest. Want to have a gud memory of my first ever mac system.

2. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

Not a clue but as someone who has used 3 of the units (1 x late 2013, 2 x mid 2014), I personally haven't seen any issues with them myself.

Only issue I really had was a mura on the late 2013 but I suspect I probably caused that myself ><.

Keep in mind a lot of the people on here are incredibly picky people haha.

3. Zerka macrumors member

The difference between the 2013 model and the 2014 model is virtually none. Besides a slightly better processor, you're getting the same computer either way. And when I say slight I mean minute to the point where you won't notice it unless you run really, really demanding apps. And you shouldn't worry about getting a faulty unit. There's hundreds of thousands of MacBooks sold each year, but you'll find people with faulty units on here because that's what they're here for. People wouldn't post about not having issues with their MacBooks :p Get the 2013 model, you won't regret not getting the 2014 model

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

This is incorrect. The 2013 comes with 8gb and the 2014 with 16gb RAM.
    That's a $200 upgrade and a slight cpu bump.

5. blooperz macrumors 6502

Give it some time the threads with people complaining about their 2014 screens will start popping up. The only real issue was the ghosting on the original LG screens. Other than that it was mostly just people complaining about slight discoloration in some areas which is normal with any LCD screen since it's impossible to uniformly dsitribute the backlight perfectly. You would think some people just stare at completely black or white screens for hours on end for a living =p.

If you are someone that benefits from the 8--16g ram bump (most won't notice a difference) than get the 2014. Otherwise just go for the 2013 if you need the machine now since they are for all intents and purposes identical machines.

6. hassan.sadozye thread starter macrumors newbie

The issue of image ghosting fixed completely in 2014 models or is it still there?

7. blooperz macrumors 6502

Was completely fixed even in the 2013 models AFAIK...at least for the late 2013 ones.

8. hassan.sadozye thread starter macrumors newbie

Pheww..thts gud to know. Thanks alot everyone.