2014 11" Air, battlery life around 6 hours. Normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iamsen47, Oct 13, 2015.

1. iamsen47 macrumors regular

It's something I've been wondering about for a while. I've never managed to get the magical 10 hour life. It's usually between 5~8 hours. I use this for development for Chrome, Brackets, Slack and Sourcetree are always on. Vagrant is up sometimes. At least one copy of gulp and sbt/activator are up at all times too.

Bluetooth is always off. Wifi is always on. Brightness is at 4 bars in standard lighting.

According to activity monitor, chrome seems to soak up the most battery life. It hangs around 25% avg energy consumption whereas everything else is usually below 10.

Is this 'normal'?

2. Sekelani macrumors 6502

Sekelani

Yep. Seems pretty normal. My MacBook Pro 15 inch gets about that's battery life.

3. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

If I just use Word and Safari (without flash) and use a lower brightness setting, I can squeeze out 10 hours instead of the promised 8 hours on my 15 inch. Chrome is a power drain since it has no idle mode, and every tab is actually a separate Chrome window that is constantly running. Safari is much more efficient, and it stops itself if it detects it is covered up by another window (except audio/video playback).

If you have multiple apps running then you will have less battery life, this is normal. The 10 hours is quoted for web browsing in Safari, so basically a light task, and you are putting a higher load on it. As an analogy, compare jogging 10 km with and without a backpack.

4. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Chrome is a battery killer.

I can get 9/10 hours of video on my 2013 11' Air. If I do mixed browsing, office, pdfs, evernote, music etc, I can squeeze out around 6/7 hours.

I would move to Safari.

Also, have a look at Anand's review of the 2013 Air.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7180/apple-macbook-air-11-2013-review/2

The 2013 11' Air is able to get 6.5 hours of medium usage and 4 hours of heavy usage. I presume the 2014 Air will be about the same, if not slightly better, as there isn't that much of a difference between Haswell and Broadwell.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

Depends on how you use it exactly.

If you browse a lot/load new webpages frequently and even multitask with other apps, then 6 hours is a lot!!

I get about the same time on my rmbp from webbrowsing only.