2014 13" rMbp have image retention issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Nov 26, 2014.

1. jjahshik32, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Hey guys I've just picked up a 2014 13" rMbp and was curious if they have bad image retention issues still? I've tried that checker board test and when the grey screen shows it does exhibit very slightly a faint image but if I try to leave other images on for 10-20 minutes, I don't see it happening.

When the test showed the checkerboard it did fade away after 30 seconds or so. The screen is an A020 and from what I've researched it is an LG but the screen is so stunning and has no dead/stuck pixels.

From the test, it does not seem to bother me much but does it get worse over time..??

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

From what I see and know, there are basically two types of Retina Display:

-- displays that suffer from image retention (nice to know that yours fade out in a few seconds -- maybe it's a technology improvement);
    -- displays that suffer from uneven tint;

Displays with image retention seem to be more uniform in terms of color according to reports on Apple forums and here on MacRumors. I had a LG display with IR and it was pretty uniform, although was a bit on the magentaish side.

Displays with uneven color casts are yellowish at bottom and magentaish at the top, but they seem not suffer from image retention.

If your display has very little image retention but is uniform, maybe it's a new standard on retina displays. If this is the case, it's good news.

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Yea it looks like now it's getting worse. It's now showing retention from my web browser.. I'm going to return it lol. I can however say that it's a previous gen (not latest) batch before the speed bump update. Perhaps the newest revisions MacBook pros have the screens ironed out?

4. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

No. It seems to be a problem inherent to the technology. Even classic iMacs suffer from image retention/uneven yellowing.

The unfair aspect around this issue is that Apple advertises Retina displays as the best screens you'd ever seen. Perhaps this is true for usual gadget consumers, but some manufacturers like Eizo and NEC produce displays which allow a fine tuning of each pixel or each area of the display. That is, their displays also have uneven colored pixels, but the issue can be reasonably, if not totally, solved by calibration.

Retina displays don't have this feature. There is no way to correct colors "by region" of the display. Thus, Apple advertising is not really fair if you consider that some of the affected products are intended to the "Pro" market, then some "Pro" consumers buy these products expecting "Pro" performance, which is not true in every aspect.

My advice is that you should check displays without retention before returning. I think uneven color casts are as distracting as image retention. It depends on how you use your computer. For working with images or anything that requires color accuracy, retention can be less of an issue comparing to uneven yellowing.