2014 13" trackpad button won't click properly anymore, affected by body itself

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dekema2, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

i came back from the Apple Store today and they opened up my MBP to try and see what was wrong with my trackpad. Usually they can adjust it with retention screws. Given the severity of the issue, my gut told me this would still be expensive no matter what.

However, this was not the case here (no pun intended), because he comes back and says that since it's out of warranty the body itself would need to be replaced, and that's a ~$370 part, while labor would be $80ish.

This is unfortunate for a computer that I paid over $1000 for, just to get the trackpad working. I wonder if there's a cheaper repair solution. I can use a mouse, but that isn't the point.

2. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

Order a new battery from them. They’ll replace the entire top case as part of the battery replacement.

3. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

The battery is swollen and pushing up against the touchpad.

This is dangerous. The battery could burst open and catch fire.

Tell Apple that this is a defect and that you should be able to get the laptop fixed free of charge.

4. sbuntin macrumors regular

sbuntin

Retina or non-Retina? If non-retina, the battery is not part of the case and can be swapped easily. Did they try the trackpad with the battery removed?

5. Dekema2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

Retina MBP. Not sure what they tried. Pretty sure the battery is glued in.