2014 15" MacBook Pro Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BonyFloppyDog, Dec 9, 2014.

1. BonyFloppyDog macrumors newbie

I just bought this MacBook Pro about a month ago, and I've been having a lot of issues with it; I'm not sure if they're common, or I was just unlucky with the MacBook I bought. It's the base model 15".

This is the first Mac I have owned and love it, everything is much snappier and cleaner than all of the PC's I've used, but I've been having a lot of minor issues with it. It has crashed twice, I believe it's called a Kernel Panic? I'm not sure, but it did this doing very basic things. The first time it crashed, I was watching a TV show from my external hard drive and put it in full screen and it crashed immediately, the second I was just doing extremely minor editing on iMovie; just messing around on it to test it out.

I have heard this is a common issue, but while I was using GarageBand, the keyboard and trackpad became unresponsive unexpectedly, and again, I was just doing very minor editing, and I had to restart my computer to get them working again.

There have been strange sounds coming from the laptop, I'm not sure from where exactly, but it's almost like a small crunching sound. It first happened when I turned on the computer and it finally booted up, the sounds were very audible, I didn't have to put my ear close to the laptop to hear them. This is what got me most worried, the fans are usually so quiet that you can't hear them; they really didn't sound like very healthy sounds.

Apps also crash a lot, especially GarageBand, which is a shame because I've always heard how much more stable Macs are compared to PC's, but my old piece of crap HP laptop never once crashed when I was using a music recording program. I'm not sure if it's normal, but the laptop gets really hot when playing basic puzzle games from the app store.

I love this computer, it just really sucks that it doesn't seem to be as stable as my old refurbished 2009 HP laptop; a laptop this expensive really shouldn't be crashing so often. It will be hard to switch back to PC's, but I'm getting really annoyed with the minor problems this computer has.

Specs:

Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel Iris Pro
    Software OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Try doing a clean install of OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite.

3. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Apple Care phone support is for 90 days on new laptops. If you purchased it only a month ago, you should try giving them a call. After all, theyʻre the "experts" and will do everything they can to get your laptop working properly. Iʻd only turn to the forums after having tried them a few times.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're getting a lot of crashes, on a new machine, I'd call apple. I can't tell you the last time I incurred a Kernel Panic (years). Since you're under warranty, give them a call and see what they'll do for you.