2014-15 NBA Season Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jrswizzle, Nov 4, 2014.

1. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I couldn't find this year's edition so I decided to create it myself seeing as I'm incredibly psyched about this year and my Mavericks! Run-DMC is arguably one of the best threesomes in the league and offensively we're on another level. I think they'll grab a top 4 seed in the West - potentially the 2 seed behind the Spurs.

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The Bulls are playing for the Post Season. Hopefully Tom Thibodeau doesn't kill Derrick Rose by then.

3. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Thanks for this thread!

Random thoughts I've had in the last few days

- Mavs are looking good. I think they might end up being a high seed. 3? Above the Warriors

- Why isn't Kerr starting Iggy?

- Klay Thompson! Wow. He's put the league on notice. He is playing super well.

- The Knicks are barely running the triangle. The games are turning into melo and jr in iso and jacking up shots.

- Cavs are a mess, but once they start to gel, they will be unstoppable. When LBJ has the ball, Kyrie has no idea WTF is going on and vice versa. I really like the LBJ/KLove combo. Especially with KLove's signature cross-court pass.

- Bulls are only as good as DRose. If these injuries become common, they aren't going anywhere.

- Bosh has returned to Toronto levels. Even DWade is back... (until he gets hurt again)

- The Lakers are a mess. Another tanking season. It's the Kobe show and it's fun to watch. Even though he's lost the ups, he's making up for it with his shot selection and footwork. Still one of the leagues top SGs.

- Rockets are playing really well... even after loosing Parsons and Asik. Harden still needs to learn what defense is.

- Anthony Davis... oh my. This kid is the next superstar! What a monster.

- DeMarcus Cousins is finally looking like a franchise player!

- CP3 got the first triple double of the season. Maybe he'll actually go deep in the playoffs this year?

- Blazers are a fun team to watch. I love Lillard's game. LMA is a monster.

- As an OKC fan, it will be a sad next few months. :( Even if they (Russ/KD) manage to come back in December, they would have missed ~20 games. They're barely making the playoffs. However, if KD/Russ are anywhere near 100%, they will be the most dangerous 7th/8th seed in history. The only team that they have trouble with are the Spurs and it's mutual. Ibaka gives them nightmares. If they're 8th seed and beat San Antonio in the first round... it's a cakewalk to the Finals.

I wish KD/Russ the best. They are the most exciting duo to watch in the league... by far.

4. scott craft macrumors 6502a

This should be a great season. There are more interesting story lines this season than any I remember. I'm going to try to catch a Pelicans game so I can see Anthony Davis in person. I'd like to see Cleveland also, but I don't think they play at Houston or New Orleans at a good time for me.

5. pietrov macrumors regular

pietrov

Does anybody know where can I buy the new black t-shirt of Los Angeles Lakers? I'll be in San Francisco very early next year and I've to buy one... :rolleyes:

6. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

You really have to feel sorry for Lakers fans--other than Kobe Bryant, the team is effectively less than a D-League team. And now national commentators on ESPN, SI.com (Sports Illustrated) and TNT Sports are starting to openly wonder if trading Kobe Bryant to another team later this season makes sense. :rolleyes:

7. scott craft macrumors 6502a

I don't see the Lakers trading Kobe. Right now they will probably miss the playoffs this season and get another decent draft pick and when Kobe's current contract is over and he hopefully retires the Lakers will have quite a bit of money to spend on free agents.

8. jrswizzle thread starter macrumors 603

jrswizzle

It'll be interesting to see how much weight Charles Barkley loses on his "Lakers Win" fast.....

I don't know if they'll win any time soon.....lol

9. TheWalkingT macrumors newbie

As a Laker fan, I know they are pretty horrible, but they wont beat the record of 0-18. I just dont see it happening. We are in bad shape, but trading kobe isnt going to do anything at this point. Just wait till his contract is up and use the money you have to get some players hear and good draft picks. the problem is kobe as no one wants to play with him. it sucks to hear that as a fan, but its the truth.

10. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

As a long time Bulls fan who lived through the breakup post 1997 I'm entirely sick of this. One more injury and Derrick Rose should be traded while he still has any trade value. They're treating him like a piece of glass. I was excited for this season particularly given the acquisition of Mirotic (finally) and Gasol, after his amazing FIBA tournament particularly, and we have one of if not the best front courts in the NBA currently, but to me with this latest injury if Derrick Rose doesn't man up, I'm done.

He had the potential to be the heir apparent to Michael Jordan for the Bulls but he's turning out like Grant Hill. I've had enough of supporting the Bulls without question because of the promise of a championship and it's getting to the point where if it does happen it may as well be without Derrick Rose.

11. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Tim Duncan the best Power Forward the NBA has seen.

12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Trading Derrick is impossible. The NBA requires teams to match salaries in trades. Whatever value he has is ruined by his huge salary hit. Also, he's the only Bulls player who can create their own shot outside of Mitotic. I repeat, though, this doesn't matter. The Bulls will make the playoffs.

Regular season barely matters. I find it refreshing that the Bulls and Thibs are finally realizing there is no trophy for winning the regular season. Derrick needs to be healthy in the postseason.

The Bulls need to move Taj Gibson if they're serious about playing Mitotic. Taj is a liability on offense.

Snap out of it. Derrick is 25. There's also the whole LeBron issue. We Bulls fans were spoiled in the 90s because we had the best player in the game (ever). LeBron will get in the way of the Bulls nearly every time.

But stop crying about the regular season. The East is so bad it doesn't matter.

13. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

It's not impossible, we only need look at Boozer for a team that would take a player with an inordinate contract in relation to the rest of the team. It's finding a team that is willing to take Rose's contract that is the hard part.

You wont shake the rust sitting on the bench :rolleyes: The fact that he can play and that he's sitting out says it all particularly when we've put up with this nonsense for 3 seasons.

Taj has a great offense, he's one of the best 6th men in the NBA with actual value, you pretty much couldn't have a better Power Forward sitting on your bench and while I'd love him to have a better perimeter shot his post game is immense. He would start on just about any other team except San Antonio or Miami, he's not just a product of the Bulls system.

LeBron is no Michael Jordan nowhere near it, he's played on a stacked Miami team which now Chris Bosch as Dwayne Wade are killing it. He went to the finals 4 times and only won 2.

Tim Duncan is a better player with more proven longevity in the same position, quit hyping up LeBron James. This is Tim Duncan's era not LeBrons. LeBron has only proven one thing, no superstar support cast, no Lebron James.

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Yes, it is impossible. Derrick's contract is a quarter of a team's salary cap. Derrick is not trade-able. Typical nonsensical Bulls fan.

He could play 25 games in the regular season and be ready for the postseason. Stop pretending you know what you're talking about.

The fact that you and other NBA execs believe this is the reason to trade Taj. The Bulls lack players who can make their own shots. Move Taj for someone who can at least try.

You totally missed my point, but you have yet to make a solid argument and have only proven to be your standard, uninformed, "let me know when we're winning" Bull fan. LeBron is the best player in the game and he will stand in the way of the Bulls and the Bulls may never beat him.

Irrelevant. Typical Chicago fan.

15. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

From all I've seen he needs a lot more than 25 games, this isn't NBA pre-season and all the preseason hype about Rose has amounted to nothing but two busted ankles and a Grant Hill like resume. It's pretty much straight forward after 3 seasons of this nonsense to see why I'm done as well as a large percentage of Bulls fans are done with Derrick Rose.

Taj Gibson is one of the best 6th men in the NBA and would get a start pretty much anywhere. You can be an idiot if you want and trade him, Mirotic hasn't proven anything YET, and the depth the Bulls have in the front court is a god send any team would ask for.

I'm not saying LeBron James isn't good, I'm saying he doesn't even deserve to tie Kobe Bryants shoelaces let alone any of the major NBA hall of famers. He's proven he can't lead a team to the finals in Clevland and he had to jump on the Miami bandwagon for 2 out of 4. Without his supporting cast there is no LeBron.

16. scott craft macrumors 6502a

Lebron did take the Cavs to the finals in 2007 without a great supporting cast. I don't recall any elite player winning a title without another great player. Kobe had Shaq for three titles and Pau Gasol for two. Both Shaq and Pau were better than anyone Lebron played with until he went to Miami.

17. furbzv1 macrumors 6502a

furbzv1

Mavs are looking good... Its nice having Chandler back at center!

18. 63dot, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I'm a huge Steve Kerr fan, so I'm really happy for the Warriors.

20. 63dot, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

The Bay Area is being treated to a dream come true with the Golden State Warriors clinching in the west before anybody else. This year can become the second year that Golden State goes all the way after their lone 1974-1975 championship forty long years ago.

Most here were probably not born when our region last had a basketball title. Yes, A's and Giants both won several WS, Raiders and Niners won some SBs, and we have had some good years, but without wins, for San Jose Sharks. Expectations were for those five teams in recent years with Niners making it to SB in 2012, Raiders making it to SB in 2002, A's in playoffs numerous times in recent years with six western division titles, Sharks always a threat, and Giants with recent WS titles. But this thing with Warriors is sweetest of all due to lack of anything good from them most years.

Right now I see more Warriors/The City gear on than I ever have for any other norcal team. After a title or two, the momentum is never the same but with a team that many consider among the worst like the Warriors, there's something unbelievably special seeing how they can do what they have so far, and what they can do soon. Their winning percentage is a stunning .809 and if it holds anywhere near this then it's against their previous best of a .720 1975-76 NBA regular season. If the Warriors falter late in season and only evenly split their remaining 14 games, then they are still better than 3 for 4 on average which is hard to believe being Golden State.

Part of the psychology behind this is that Golden State represents both Oakland and San Francisco with equal percentages of fans in both major cities. But in football the Raiders rule in Oakland and 49ers in San Francisco, and in baseball the A's rule in Oakland and Giants in San Francisco. Maybe other than Warriors putting whole area into full tilt, car tipping craziness throughout every corner of the Bay Area, a San Jose Sharks Stanley Cup would have the same effect. While San Jose with their Sharks have never gone all the way, at least they have proven to be good with a full run not out of the question so many different times, but the Warriors in their sport are usually a lesson in how not to play.

The only example I can think of is maybe someone like Boston who knows titles with Celtics, Red Sox, and Patriots, but then being treated to that rare and special Bruins title which came 39 years after their previous one.

21. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

With such an amazing spark as a coach, we just have not seen this type of charisma since Madden with Raiders (76.3% percent winning). Maybe the Raiders didn't have Staubach or Tarkenton or Csonka or Mean Joe Greene, but Madden maximized who he did have and won against all odds. Similarly with Kerr and his 21 wins in just 23 games starting off will be under a lot of pressure to become a coaching legend since he has set such a high standard after this season.

We haven't won a title in years, and haven't won with Kerr and the Warriors, but the way people talk about him right now, it's as if he's the next MJ. I just don't know when or if the Warriors will ever come back down to earth.

22. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Memphis is next. This is Warriors craziness everywhere and it's as if the team is going for first title run ever. The record during the season would indicate a shoe in to get into the finals but anything can happen and does, usually not to our advantage, to a professional sports norcal team.

23. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Rooting hard for the Warriors, secondarily the Clippers.

In the meantime, really excited about the future of the Celtics. They have a lot of good young talent and a veritable war chest of draft picks. I hope they turn some of them into DeMarcus Cousins, as I think we're two stars away from being contenders. :)

24. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Steph Curry named league MVP. The last Warrior to win the award was Wilt Chamberlain, when the franchise was back in Philly. It's been a long, long time.