2014 15" rMBP + 1400x1050 Projector?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SteveJY, Dec 16, 2014.

1. SteveJY macrumors newbie

I'll be giving a presentation in a couple of weeks and I'd like to use my new Retina MacBook Pro rather than a 7 year old Dell notebook.

Unfortunately, when testing my rMBP with the 1400x1050 projector I'll be using, the maximum 4x3 resolution it offers is 800x600. Obviously this doesn't show photographs at their best, or provide much desktop space to work with.

Is there any way of convincing the rMBP to use the projector at its full native resolution?

Would running Windows 7 in Bootcamp provide additional graphics options, or is this a limit of Apple's hardware rather than the OS?

It's unlikely that I'll have another chance to connect the laptop and projector before the night I'll be using it, so won't have the opportunity to play with the settings.

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

definitely a software issue. Try a third party program to force the resolution, like switchresx. Booting into Windows might also act differently too.

3. SteveJY thread starter macrumors newbie

I've taken a look at SwitchresX, unfortunately the highest 4x3 resolution it seems to offer is 1024x768. That's a bit better, but still wouldn't have the quality of the projector's native resolution.

Booting into Windows 7 seems to be the only solution on my rMPB, as 1400x1050 is one of its standard resolution options.

I'm a bit surprised that Mac OS X has such limited support for 4x3 external displays. In my experience 4x3 projectors are still the norm in the business world, and are very common among photographers doing projected images or AV shows.