2014 15" rMBP or wait for refresh?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RiskyShenanigan, Apr 19, 2015.

  1. RiskyShenanigan macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2011
    #1
    Hi, I would like some advice on whether I should buy the 2014 15" rMBP or wait for the refresh.

    I am currently a PC user looking to make a transition to OSX due to work as a graphic/web designer and also reducing the stress with the maintenance of a custom PC.

    I will be using Adobe CC along with some video editing as a side hobby, browsing, movies and will be hooking it up to an external monitor for the majority of time and then to my TV for movie streaming.
     
  2. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

    BenTrovato

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2012
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    If you can wait for the WWDC in June before making a purchase that would be safe since the 15" hasn't been updated in a while. Whether the updates will significant enough, no one really knows.
     
  3. RiskyShenanigan thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2011
    #3
    Yep, not in a major rush for it as I still have my PC. I just hope they do announce the refresh at WWDC.
     
  4. LittleLuth macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2014
    #4
    Fire away, I say

    About 3 weeks ago I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new 15" rMBP. I love it - it is a wonderful, powerful machine. Realistically, if you wait to WWDC, then you might get ForceTouch (do you really care) and maybe a modest bump in processor speeds(will you really notice). Maybe, maybe something with graphics... But in all honesty these things are beasts as they are. I don't disagree with the prior posts but just saying that these machines are showing up with some discounts - got mine $250 off Apple retail at Best Buy. Are what will likely be fairly insignificant updates worth an extra couple hundred? Your call, OP, just offering a counterpoint.
     
  5. mag2001 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 24, 2007
    Location:
    San Antonio, TX
    #5
    I am hoping they update the ssd to 512gb as a standard.
     
  6. Orr macrumors 6502

    Orr

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    #6
    No chance.
     
  7. mcmul macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2009
  8. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2009
    #8
    Well I pulled the trigger on the base 15 model (not gonna buy one with a graphics card)....Refurbished though....So it works for me even if they announce a newer model. If you get a good deal on refurbished ones, I think you could go for it...
     

Share This Page