2014 21.5" Base iMac Hard Drive Upgrade - fan problems???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dtjay7, Jul 17, 2015.

1. dtjay7 macrumors regular

Hi, I got a used 2014 base iMac at a good price and I had planned to upgrade it to an SSD. I am a little worried that it will cause thermal problems. I have seen some references to using an external temp sensor on the 27" but mine is a 21.5" and I don't think there is room for the cable in there. Thanks for any help.

2. dtjay7 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess this means that nobody has done this upgrade. I have to take the display off to replace a cracked display so I thought a drive upgrade might be a good idea. I have taken apart a 2012 27" iMac before and so I feel like I have a clear idea of what to do to remove the display. I just really thought that upgrading the drive would be a good thing to do with the display removed already.

3. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Look on the OWC or Ifixit site for the correct thermal sensor cable for your model.

4. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

You will find not a lot of people on Macrumors have bought that iMac with all their complaining about it last year. I would say that you would be much better just adding an SSD via external means (either thunderbolt or USB).

5. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Such a dreadful model - Compromised Mac Air in an iMac case.

6. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

So? OP said he got it for a great price second hand, nothing wrong in that. To get a monitor alone that good would be worth a few hundred (all they will all look cheap and plasticy anyway) and at a nice price, its a good enough machine for a basic user. The problem is, pretty much no one on Macrumors is a basic user. Don't hate just because something isn't targeted towards you, and your only other argument is its high price tag and, as I've just stated, OP said he got a super deal second hand.

7. dtjay7 thread starter macrumors regular

I know, my son recommended that I sell it. I am really thinking that may be the best option.

8. dtjay7 thread starter macrumors regular

It was a great deal and I got it primarily to use while I got a new logic board for my 2011 27". But, I have my 27" going again and I realize that it is such a better computer. I knew when I posted that the base 21.5" 2014 was not a commonly used system by anyone on this forum and using it for a couple of weeks really reinforced why.

9. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Its the same way people here hate the Mac Mini 2014 refresh. Yes, it could be seen as a backward step, but through my eyes is an amazing entry computer. In the UK, it can be found for around 300 pounds, and I honestly can't imagine getting a better machine for 300 quid (dual core with hyper threading i5, 4GB of RAM, 500GB HDD, Intel HD 5000). That i5 alone makes this an amazing machine for the price, and while its not going to be as 'snappy' as your 12 core, 128GB of RAM Mac Pro, it was never meant to be in the first place. It was made to be for an entry level user, maybe even a parent buying their kid their first Mac (and that Mac Mini would be silly good for them). For that price tag, you are getting great via for money as well as the entry to Mac OS, along with its amazing bundled software such as Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie, Garageband and Photos. I can't find a better machine at that price point for even just looking at the specs, and even if you build you own you are not going to get much more for your money at the 300 quid range but also loose out on that bundled software and amazing OS X experience.

10. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

What do you use it for? That is the most important question. If you are just using it for browsing the web and checking emails, along with some basic use in Pages, Number and Keynote, there is nothing wrong with the machine (although the Mac Mini would come in at a much better price point).

11. dtjay7 thread starter macrumors regular

I am using it for mostly basic web browsing, iTunes, and such. But, I will be taking a digital media class this fall and I will probably just upgrade the processor to an i7 in my 27" iMac. I have been using the 2014 base 21.5 with my thunderbolt display but I think the dual 27" display with the i7 CPU may be much better. I think I kind of fell in the "it's newer and must be better" idea. It is 3 years newer than my 27" but I don't think that applied.

12. Lankyman macrumors 68000

A bargain is only a bargain if it's something you really want.

13. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

It's not better, but it's also going to be less than half the price too haha Your 27 inch will definitely be better it seems, but the 21 entry would still meat all your needs. It's just you already have a better computer so it's not worth while in that remark. I would agree on selling it, not because it isn't up to the task, but because you have something better already.

14. Lankyman macrumors 68000

It's like trying to save a few pennies by going for the cheaper model when buying a new car. Initially you're satisfied with your purchase, then later on you look wistfully at the model you really wanted and think - if only.

Ultimately you end up dissatisfied. Remember the old saying, buy cheap and you buy twice.

15. dtjay7 thread starter macrumors regular

It was needed for the month or more that I didn't have the 2011 working. I am a mom to a large family and have several children in college, so I kind of thought that once I got my 27" working I could give it to one of them. None of them want it.

16. Lankyman macrumors 68000

That should tell you all you need to know.

17. dtjay7 thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking about keeping it as a backup computer. I really like the thinner shape of the newer iMacs but I also like to be able to upgrade them. I feel the need to upgrade everything. I think I will sell it and just ignore the urge to upgrade.

18. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Exactly, so by de
    then look into a second hand 2012 Mac mini :) Loads of room for upgradablility plus will be cheaper :)