2014 27" Power & Data Cable combo

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gnftr42, Jun 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. gnftr42 macrumors newbie

Has anybody used the apple 923-0312 for the 2012/13 iMac to replace the listed part 923-00092. iFixit and powerbookmedic are both out of stock. Everybody else wants twice as much plus crazy shipping. Rinbers sell the former and claims it will work on the '14. I was seeing if anybody actually has personal experience with using this part. My thinking is its not a connector or voltage issue, just maybe a length difference.

Thanks.

2. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

Let me guess: You have an SSD only iMac and you are trying to install a SATA drive.

3. gnftr42 thread starter macrumors newbie

You got it. I bought a used one with cracked Screen so I opened it up and it didn't have a HDD. I just thought they removed it and further inspection it didn't have a SATA cable, so SSD only. I figured I have it all opened up, I might as well throw in a SATA drive. I have a 1Tb apple HDD laying around that I removed from another iMac that I replace with a SSD.

4. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

Well, I don't know if it's compatible or not.

You just have to roll the dice on this one.

I would love to hear your feedback afterwards.

5. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 68000

nambuccaheadsau

Trust it is not a 2.5" hard drive. Think you would be better off with an SSD and then the news about the crackled screen is not good. Laminated screens cost about $500 top replace and are sealed all in one units as you have found out. Did the for sale info advise of the no hard drive?

Often machines with no hard drive are sold for parts only

6. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

The display cost might be worth it if he got the iMac cheap.

The iMac he bought is an SSD-only model, so it doesn't come with the SATA cable.

7. gnftr42 thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it cheap alright. It is a 4k I7 4.0ghz with 32gb Ram and 512 SSD for less than $400. I figured I had the HDD laying around and for the price of a cable I could add it before I closed it up. I figured a new LCD for about $400-$460. Pretty good deal.

8. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

That's a steal right there.

Did you get it from craigslist?

9. gnftr42 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes Craigslist. Guy bought it in an auction lot of 3 computers from a university. The repair was more than he was willing to tackle. The other two just needed easy things like keyboard, memory etc.