Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnftr42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
Pensacola, FL
Has anybody used the apple 923-0312 for the 2012/13 iMac to replace the listed part 923-00092. iFixit and powerbookmedic are both out of stock. Everybody else wants twice as much plus crazy shipping. Rinbers sell the former and claims it will work on the '14. I was seeing if anybody actually has personal experience with using this part. My thinking is its not a connector or voltage issue, just maybe a length difference.

Thanks.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Has anybody used the apple 923-0312 for the 2012/13 iMac to replace the listed part 923-00092. iFixit and powerbookmedic are both out of stock. Everybody else wants twice as much plus crazy shipping. Rinbers sell the former and claims it will work on the '14. I was seeing if anybody actually has personal experience with using this part. My thinking is its not a connector or voltage issue, just maybe a length difference.

Thanks.

Let me guess: You have an SSD only iMac and you are trying to install a SATA drive.

gnftr42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
Pensacola, FL
Let me guess: You have an SSD only iMac and you are trying to install a SATA drive.
You got it. I bought a used one with cracked Screen so I opened it up and it didn't have a HDD. I just thought they removed it and further inspection it didn't have a SATA cable, so SSD only. I figured I have it all opened up, I might as well throw in a SATA drive. I have a 1Tb apple HDD laying around that I removed from another iMac that I replace with a SSD.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
You got it. I bought a used one with cracked Screen so I opened it up and it didn't have a HDD. I just thought they removed it and further inspection it didn't have a SATA cable, so SSD only. I figured I have it all opened up, I might as well throw in a SATA drive. I have a 1Tb apple HDD laying around that I removed from another iMac that I replace with a SSD.

Well, I don't know if it's compatible or not.

You just have to roll the dice on this one.

I would love to hear your feedback afterwards.

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Trust it is not a 2.5" hard drive. Think you would be better off with an SSD and then the news about the crackled screen is not good. Laminated screens cost about $500 top replace and are sealed all in one units as you have found out. Did the for sale info advise of the no hard drive?

Often machines with no hard drive are sold for parts only

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Trust it is not a 2.5" hard drive. Think you would be better off with an SSD and then the news about the crackled screen is not good. Laminated screens cost about $500 top replace and are sealed all in one units as you have found out. Did the for sale info advise of the no hard drive?

Often machines with no hard drive are sold for parts only

The display cost might be worth it if he got the iMac cheap.

The iMac he bought is an SSD-only model, so it doesn't come with the SATA cable.

gnftr42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
Pensacola, FL
The display cost might be worth it if he got the iMac cheap.

The iMac he bought is an SSD-only model, so it doesn't come with the SATA cable.
I got it cheap alright. It is a 4k I7 4.0ghz with 32gb Ram and 512 SSD for less than $400. I figured I had the HDD laying around and for the price of a cable I could add it before I closed it up. I figured a new LCD for about $400-$460. Pretty good deal.

Reactions: mbosse

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
I got it cheap alright. It is a 4k I7 4.0ghz with 32gb Ram and 512 SSD for less than $400. I figured I had the HDD laying around and for the price of a cable I could add it before I closed it up. I figured a new LCD for about $400-$460. Pretty good deal.

That's a steal right there.

Did you get it from craigslist?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.