2014: Best product pipeline in decades?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rekhyt, Dec 8, 2014.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Where is it?

Still waiting for the upcoming retina MacBook Air 12", and the retina MacBook Pro with the nVidia Maxwell cards.

2. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Still waiting for a worthy Mac Pro update. The Mac Tube feels so limiting compared to my 2010 Mac Pro.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm pleased with the Mac Pro, it looks great, but its a price point that I cannot afford, nor do I have an actual need for that computer.

With that said, there's really been nothing else from Apple. Sure they mentioned the apple watch, but so far that's not available.
    Cook Promised new products in 2012. Link
    In 2013 he promoted "2014 would be a year of new category-defining products" Link

While you cannot turn innovation on with a flip of a switch, I think the natives (and investors) are getting restless.

4. theluggage macrumors 68030

Honesty in marketing has never worked:

"Well, we've got some OK products coming up, nothing earth shattering - but, hey, stuff like the iPhone only comes around every decade or so and our competitors haven't exactly been announcing Mr Fusion and flying cars either, so even coming out with the first 5k screen kinda puts us ahead of the game. Look on the bright side, you ain't gonna have to replace all your 2013 kit just yet."

Nope - you don't want Steve spinning in his grave too fast that close to the San Andreas fault...

Also, Intel failing to deliver Broadwell on time has put a crimp in everything.

5. theluggage macrumors 68030

I think getting the 5k iMac in the shops for Christmas was quite a big deal... didn't see that coming, and its got me very tempted (main downside is the ridiculous cost of putting a decent-sized SSD in it).

I'm guessing there would have been a new 12" retina laptop line if Intel hadn't delayed Broadwell.

iPhone-wise, where were they going to go other than to meet the market demands for bigger phones?

6. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

Other than not redesigning the Mac Mini and not having the Apple Watch available for the holiday season I think Apple did a pretty good job this year with product releases. Though the lack of mini redesign could have been due to the Broadwell delay.

7. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

I remember seeing my favorite band's best album (which I consider a masterpiece) rated one star by someone on iTunes. It was at that point that I realized that the saying "you can't please everyone" is as true as any statement ever uttered.

In my mind, the iMac w/retina is the best personal computer computer ever created. YMMV.

8. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

The 12" retina MBA has appears to have been put back because of Intel chip delays. I wouldn't be surprised if the same has happened with a redesigned Mac Mini. And perhaps they thought the Apple Watch would be ready before the end of the year. Maybe there was an Apple TV on the way, but the content deals have held that back.

But we have got the lovely new retina iMac, and the new iPhone sizes have gone down well.

If everything above had happened, it would have been a special year. It might have been the best pipeline, but there were a few blockages.

9. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Mind sharing the band/album? You know, for science.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, I agree that was a surprise. One that looks good, but the price point makes it a hard to reach item.

I agree, and that's the issue I think apple as with the iPhone. What else can they do. They made it thinner which I think was a mistake. They made it larger, which people were clamoring for.

11. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

In this specific case, I was referring to Alter Bridge - Blackbird. The guitar solo on Blackbird was declared the greatest guitar solo ever by one of the guitar magazines. If you haven't listened to Alter Bridge they deserve a listen. Not a massively successful band, but a darn good one.

12. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Still waiting for a proper Mac mini update. Also an iPhone with 2 GB RAM.

13. G4DP macrumors 65816

Creed with even worse vocals. The guitar solo's are nothing special.

As for Apples year, it's been a bog standard one, and update here and there. Nothing out standing, a few poor updates.

14. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

I thank you sir for remaking my point for me. I likewise probably despise something you enjoy, hence, in addition to not being able to please everyone, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And your view of Apple's year doesn't match mine either.

15. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Thanks! And I agree, Alter Bridge is a great group!