2014 iMac vs retina iMac Performance

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bumfluff, Oct 7, 2014.

1. bumfluff macrumors regular

bumfluff

Postulating on an assumption here. For the purposes of this post lets assume for 2014 Apple will spec bump the entire line and add "iMac with retina display".

Assuming that all specs are equal between the two models, what kind of performance difference can i expect between the two, working mainly in PS, FPX, and LR? (i.e. how will the retina display affect performance)

I seem to remember that a lot of graphics pros were opting not to go with the retina display when it debuted in the macbook pro.

2. fisha macrumors regular

I think when retina first came to market, some of the doubts / concerns came more from programs not supporting it to begin with, and as such, programs like Word and PS had graphics and font rendering which looked pretty crap. Now its been mainstream for a while, I think those issues are by with.

Performance wise ... I'd expect that in day to day office type use (i.e. not 3d gaming) then I would expect the response of the system to be the same. It would really depend on what resolution the screen is running at. If its 3840X2160, then thats not really much of a jump up from the existing 2560x1440 and considering the existing resolution works fine on even a mid 2011 iMac. The time that graphics cards have had to improve in their performance over the years would negate the extra performance needed to drive a higher resolution.

I don't feel that the GPU performance of my existing 2011 iMac is the bottleneck on PS, LR or Premiere, for me its the CPU (rendering Canon 6D files) or storage speeds to drag data to the program.

3. Serban Suspended

the new retina imacs must have Geforce 970M and for BTO 980M, standard fusion drive and 16 gb Ram