2014 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 4God, May 13, 2014.

1. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I know, don't laugh, but was just thinking...

What are the chances that a 2014 iMac might get dual GPU's???

Keep the tomatoes please, just wondering.

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

0%.

3. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

About the same as them going back to the sunflower design?

5. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

Wow, really? No respect I tell ya, no respect. :D

Unknown.jpeg

Such a lack of optimism. Oh well, I tried. Still hopeful though.

6. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

iMac is a consumer machine....meaning its main purpose is every day work and consuming. Pretty much no games or most software doesnt use dual gpu, so it would completely be the opposite of what APple thinks the iMac is for. So, 0% chance.

What software do you use that actually uses 2 gpus? from what I know, Final Cut is one of the very few.

7. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Haha, just joking with you :p. I don't think OSX supports xfire/sli anyways. Correct me if I am wrong. Besides that, the thermal imposition of dual mGPUs on such a slim machine would either cause Apple to hugely underclock them, or burn the machine up. Considering Apple already underclocks their GPUs, it is unlikely.

The whole point of the iMac is to provide desktop performance in a slim form factor. The size of the heatsinks/fans required for dual-GPUs, as well as the immense cost, would probably mean that Apple would go for a single desktop GPU before dual mobile chips. This is also unlikely.

Not to put a damper on your dream, because I would also love dual-GPUs. Hopefully this comment is a little bit more helpful.

*picks a chunk of tomato out of hair*

Best,
    Matt

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I think OS X does, albeit in a somewhat limited fashion, with the dual AMD FirePros in the cylindrical Mac Pro :)

9. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

if only...

I wish they would go back to the sunflower design...

but dual GPUs?

I do not think so...especially since the nMP has them.

10. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

This is not crossfire. The dual GPU setup in the Mac Pro is for computing purposes. The GPUs are separate, and both of them can't be used to drive the display, only one of them can. The other one will just sit idle unless a particular app is built to take advantage of it, but even in this case, it's not for driving the display, just to do calculations.

In order for the two GPUs to work together to drive a single display you need crossfire (or SLI for nvidia) which OS X does not support at present.