2014 mac mini boot from SD drive?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by APPLENEWBIE, Oct 4, 2017.

1. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

I bought a 2014 Mac Mini with spinning hard drive a couple years ago... dog slow. painfully slow. unusable. I have been running it mostly from an external USB3 SSD boot drive which is pretty fast, much better than the hard drive was.

Question: Would it be possible/efficient to run it from an SD card - SDXC (Secure Digital Extended Capacity) drive? The specs say it will accept 32 gb and larger cards in that slot. Anyone have an idea if that is worth doing? A 128 gb SDXC card is about $67 from Amazon.

Thanks!

2. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

Check the speed of the SD card you are considering, they are usually much slower than hard drives. For example, the 5400 RPM mini hard drive has a write speed of about 100MB/sec and you know how slow that feels.

3. APPLENEWBIE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. It looks like they are rated at about 50MBs... so... not good.

I probably should bite the bullet and swap a new ssd internally.. kinda scary process though

4. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

Why not just continue using the external SSD? That's what I do on my 2012 Mini with a 1TB Samsung T3 SSD, I use this machine exclusively for video editing and it is very fast.

[​IMG]

5. PhyreMe macrumors newbie

Here's the performance difference between a USAP USB3 cable and internally putting the same SSD in the device (and in both cases, booting off the HDD to get a clear performance indication).

You decide if that's enough significance for you. Note the 860 is limited by SATA3 interface sadly.

Attached Files: