2014 Mac Minis starting at $349 at Best Buy with student discount

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Andres Cantu, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

Hey guys, I read online that the $100 off coupon from Best Buy can also be used on top of the already discounted Mac Minis. This means that you can get one today only starting at $349. I really wanted to wait until a redesigned model, but I can't skip on this offer. I have a 2011 basic HP laptop, so even this machine will be a much better experience. I only use my computer for web browsing, so I don't really need any extra features. Plus any performance improvements on OS X El Capitan can only be helpful.

I was also thinking about the mid-level model, but since the price of the entry-level is so low, I can wait for a redesigned model and get that one if I like what it has.

2. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

That is a great deal Andres but your comment about OS X El Capitan prompts two questions. How much would that basic mid-level model be with your discounts? Also, does Best Buy offer the Fusion Drive or SSD version of the mid-level model?

I ask those questions because of the elephant in the room (4Gb RAM). Although the SSD speed frenzy influences many conversations on this forum, a few of us still believe that the critical limitation of the entry-level mini is the non-upgradeable 4Gb of RAM. You can always install an SSD to eliminate the HDD and mask the memory problem but 4Gb is a bit short for Yosemite and totally inadequate for some applications or usage patterns. There is a reason that these entry level machines with 4Gb of soldered RAM are often heavily discounted.

If El Capitan is a (relative) resource hog or the next mini update is delayed (or a dog), you could get stuck with a 4Gb wonder.

SSD speed will make you smile though...

3. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

I just bought the entry-level Mac Mini for $349. I am fully aware of both the lack of SSD and 4GB of RAM, but like I mentioned, the only thing I will do with it is web browsing. Even this basic machine will outperform my old and slow HP laptop. I've also heard of some people using an external bootable SSD with USB 3.0, so I might go that route eventually if things slow down.

4. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

Are you guys sure? The BB college discount coupon only says iMac or MacBook.......

5. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

Pretty sure, I already paid for mine!

6. msk12 macrumors newbie

they also have the 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive Model: MGEN2LL/A for $529 after the coupon. I'm planning to grab this one and drop in a SSD myself.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

This is quite a nice deal if it suits your needs.

8. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Not a bad deal to use as a media server or as a HTPC.

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Go get it, but make sure you get an external SSD for it. This thing is absolutely horrible with just a spinning HDD inside. It's a disgrace that Apple is still selling Macs without at least a Fusion Drive option, regardless of the base price.

10. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

Already did, and it's working really good! Like I mentioned, I will only use it for web browsing, so I probably won't notice any slowdowns since I'm used to them from my Windows laptop.

11. i1280 macrumors regular

i1280

12. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

You need to sign-up for Best Buy's college student deals. If you have a .edu email, you can get the coupons within 10 minutes of signing-up.

13. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

That is also an incredible deal, as you get the mid-level model for only $30 more than what the entry-level is worth, or $170 off regular price.

14. g33k macrumors member

g33k

The $349 deal is excellent for a HTPC. But i'm going to buy a Late 2007 Mac Mini off of eBay because I need a DVD/CD drive and I adore that nostalgic look.

15. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Got the mid-range one for $571 (after tax), the machine is sitting at Best Buy right now. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to pick it up. My biggest issue is that I'm not sure how future proof this machine is going to be, giving that there is nothing much you can do after putting in that SSD. My 2009 Mac Mini is in it's six years now, works well but slow at times. I do coding, and run engineering type of simulation on it (for personal research). I don't personally like the new Mimi all that much, partly due to my annoyance toward what Apple did to the machine. But I'm not sure if I have other choice if i want to stay with OS X (not interested in iMac, and Mac Pro is too expensive).

16. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

It's your choice, but if you decide to keep it, at least you'll know you got a killer deal.

17. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

i tried to use it on an open box and it didnt let me. also the mini went up to $479 and hopefully is goes back down to $450. i also don't think you can stack student discount with a %10 off movers coupon but i hope so. $450 minus $100 plus %10 is a smashing deal. im an going to try to push that when i go to the store today.

18. JoePa2624 macrumors regular

JoePa2624

That's a great deal on a solid machine. I would absolutely recommend upgrading the processor if you can swing it and get 8gb of RAM. A Mac Mini with a 256gb SSD, 8gb RAM and Core i5 might be the perfect desktop for the majority of people.

19. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

That configuration is $900. Terrible value. Most people are not using $900 desktops.

20. JoePa2624 macrumors regular

JoePa2624

Value is in the eye of the beholder. Is it a lot of money, sure. But I would also argue that someone paying $2,500 for a 5K iMac is a terrible value when a $900 Mac Mini with a $400 4K monitor will more than handle what they need it to.

21. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

this deal is dead. code no longer works on mac mini.

22. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

23. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

It sure is. I paid $349 for my Mac Mini, which is the same amount I paid for my laptop four years ago. I paid basically half of what I would have paid for a 2012 Mac Mini one year ago.

24. JoePa2624 macrumors regular

JoePa2624

Which is a good deal. Rather than buy a new Mac Mini, I bought a 2011 Mac Mini used and added 16gb RAM and 256gb SSD and it is blazingly fast. The entire setup including the Mac Mini cost me $300 and does exactly what I want it to do.

25. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Gee, one can have both iTunes working and something like Plex or XBMC/Kodi. Definitely a reasonable price for a dedicated HTPC.