2014 macbook chassis replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anthdci, May 5, 2017.

1. anthdci macrumors 6502

I took my late 2014 15" macbook pro at the local apple store yesterday lunchtime. I has a faulty trackpad and the battery was started to play up. They are replacing both under warranty. I was told the trackpad is part of the chassis so that has to be replaced. I was told normal turn around is 3-5 days, but i was told that when it had the screen replaced a year ago and I had it back the following day. Has anyone had this work done and had their device back sooner than the estimated turn around time? With it being Friday I am wondering if i'll have it for the weekend or not.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

No way to predict this, you'll just have to wait and see.
    Just be happy that it's all covered under warranty!

3. chipchen macrumors 6502

More than likely it, it was a battery problem and started to expand. That presses against the trackpad causing it to act faulty. Some Apple Stores stock parts... and the display is a fairly easy replacement part, so they probably had that in stock last time to quickly repair it. It sounds like they're sending it in for repair this time, thus the 3-5 days. It's overnighted to the repair place (which you should have beaten the overnight cut-off since you brought it in around lunch time) and then repaired quickly and overnighted back. Because of the weekend though, my guess is you'll see it closer to 4 days.

4. anthdci thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea that's what I thought was the cause to be honest, they took the bottom off in store but couldn't see anything, that doesn't mean it hadn't blown on the trackpad side though. Haven't heard back yet and can't get there until Monday at the earliest now so hopefully it is back then or Tuesday.

I'm very pleased it's still covered, would be an expensive fix if it wasn't.