2014 MacBook Pro screen issue

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Hey I just recently started having an issue with my MacBook. When I opened it from sleep yesterday the screen wouldn’t come on. So I turned it off and tried turning it back on. It made the chime sound and the screen was on, but no picture. So I tried restarting again and the same deal.

I tried a couple of the startup key sequences. One to reset the PRAM and another to reset the system management controller. This seemed to bring it back to life.

Today I opened it up and got the same black screen so I reset it and it brought the screen back up but it started going fuzzy and jumping around. (Can be seen in the video below).

Am I SOL? LCD gone bad? I imagine if a video cable was loose or something I just wouldn’t get screen at all. Could this be a software thing and I just need to reinstall Mac OS? I am going to try it tonight when I get home with my external monitor. I figure that could help isolate the issue.

Thanks

Superspeed500

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
Hey I just recently started having an issue with my MacBook. When I opened it from sleep yesterday the screen wouldn’t come on. So I turned it off and tried turning it back on. It made the chime sound and the screen was on, but no picture. So I tried restarting again and the same deal.

I tried a couple of the startup key sequences. One to reset the PRAM and another to reset the system management controller. This seemed to bring it back to life.

Today I opened it up and got the same black screen so I reset it and it brought the screen back up but it started going fuzzy and jumping around. (Can be seen in the video below).

Am I SOL? LCD gone bad? I imagine if a video cable was loose or something I just wouldn’t get screen at all. Could this be a software thing and I just need to reinstall Mac OS? I am going to try it tonight when I get home with my external monitor. I figure that could help isolate the issue.

Thanks

Have you tried to run Apple Diagnostics? Might reveal certain hardware defects.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Looks more like display or display cable failure. If the screen freezes when it does that, it's normally the Logic Board.

The best way to confirm this definitively, as you've already stated, is to try through an external monitor. If the issue persists externally, it's the Logic Board. If it only occurs on the laptop, it's display/display cable. :)

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Well I brought it home. Hooked it up to an external monitor and it worked just fine. I ran the Apple Diagnostics and it found nothing. I figured as a last ditch effort I would try wiping the hard drive and reinstalling MacOS before bringing it in.

Now the LCD is working just fine. I don't know why, but there must have been some kind of software issue causing the struggles. Was getting ready to have to fork over $1200 for a new one, glad this one is running fine again.