2014 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlphaTheRasta, Apr 30, 2014.

1. AlphaTheRasta macrumors newbie

Well this will be my first thread so I hope it's good.
    So as we know WWDC 2014 is just a few months away and we are all excited to see what Apple has in store... Personally, for the Macbook Pro, I think either one of two things will happen two..

1. Since NVidia recently released the Maxwell Architecture, I believe we might finally see a rMBP that can hang with the big boys in the gaming world. My reasoning behind this is that the current, albeit shyty, GT 750M has a 50w TDP, whilst the GTX 860M (Second up the GTX Tier) has a TDP of only 40-45.
    But the great part about this is that it has more Pixel and Texture fill rates (16.5 GP/s and 41.2 GT/s respectively) than the GT 750M (15.5 GP/s and 30GT/s) with almost twice the processing power 1317.1 GFLOPS vs the 750M's 742.7 GFLOPS. Now another Choice Would be the GTX 850M which is the entry level GTX model with a Texture and Pixel fill rate of 14 GP/s and 35 GT/s respectively and a processing power of 1198.1 GFLOPS and a TDP of just 40.

2. Since Apple is such a leader in the OpenCL arena and with their use of AMD Firepro GPUs in the Mac Pro, we could be seeing a return of AMD GPU powered MBPs, thus MBPs that are even faster in FCPX and Aperture. But in all honesty this is a long ways off as they are grossly underpowered compared to the NVidia counterparts. But we might see this as a lower end option, who knows, we could see one of these in a 13 incher ;) :D. But alas only time will tell

Thank you for reading. Comment and let me know your views and also leave constructive criticism on how I could do future threads. Swearing and Homophobic slur is accepted :D :apple:

2. wMw macrumors newbie

wMw

Can't decide between rMBP 15" GT 650M or Iris Pro, OR wait for Maxwell rMBP 15".

What are the chances for base model rMBP 15" being Maxwell-powered?

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

It's just a thread... don't worry about it too much :)

It would be interesting if Apple upgrades their high-end model with the Maxwell GPU. It is the only way for them to get something really new in the MBPs before back-to-school and holiday shopping, since most agree now that Broadwell will happen later.

A switch to AMD seems extremely unlikely to me right now. Maybe with the next generation models (i.e. Broadwell).

Imho the most likely scenario is that the rMBPs receive a minor spec bump (Maxwell on the high-end is possible though), and that they will introduce a new retina Air. Or they are too busy developing the new larger iPhones (this is the majority of Apples business after all) so nothing new will happen with the Macs.

Edit: Just found this :D :D :D
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...with-in-key-displays-capacitive-touch-sensors

4. MacTCE macrumors 6502

I think your right, with the new iPhone and possible iWatch announcements I don't there will be a mention of any new Macs except possibly the 12" Retina Air that's been rumored. If the rMBP do get a refresh it may just be a quiet release with a minor bump in specs.

5. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

WWDC is a developer conference so people shouldn't get too carried away and expect a lot of new hardware as they are going to be mightily disappointed...

6. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

As I was saying here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=19051730&postcount=4

intel have updated most of their haswell chips - most likely this is the reason for the MBA spec bump. Stand to reason then that Apple will be forced to doa minor spec bump of MBP in coming weeks/months. I guess the unknown variable here is how much stock of the older Haswell chips they have still - one could speculate that they probably sell more Air's as they are cheaper and hence they had to bump it quicker.

I mean all speculation, but adds up to me :D

7. AlphaTheRasta thread starter macrumors newbie

TBH i'd wait until the Broadwell version is released.. If you need it right away,this video might help in your decision https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4rgL9dW7mw

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Thanks for the link! Very informative!!

9. AlphaTheRasta thread starter macrumors newbie

My pleasure.. Glad It helped :cool::D:apple: