2014 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benvw99, Aug 26, 2014.

1. benvw99 macrumors member

benvw99

Hi guys!

So as you can guess, I just acquired a 2014 MacBook Pro. It's a pretty big jump from my old g3 iMac and g4 mdd. And by the way, those were just project computers. I used win 7 before I got the mbp. And I learned my lesson about getting a low end computer, that's why I went ahead and custom built mine. Here are the specs:

2014 MacBook Pro with retina display.
    13" display.
    OS X 10.9.4
    3GHz intel dual core i7.
    16GB ram.
    128 GB flash drive.

Now - I am fairly aware of what macs can do, but can anyone tell me what the new ones are better for than the old one? (Other than it is much faster)

And did I make a smart choice for a laptop that will hopefully last me 5-8 years? And were the upgraded ram and processor worth it?

Thanks.

Ps - I posted this from my new iPhone 5s in space gray. Lol

2. supernet33 macrumors regular

Ram def worth upgrade.
    You should of upgraded the SSD to 256GB

3. SS4Luck macrumors regular

SS4Luck

x2

I just got a new 15" rMBP and was going to get the small SSD and upgrade it on my own but there aren't any aftermarket compatible SSDs out for the newest rMBP family so I ended up going to the 512 model. Hopefully OWC or another company comes out with an SSD upgrade soon, 256 gig can be blown through quite quickly

4. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

5. kfmfe04 macrumors member

because SSDs are still getting bigger and cheaper.

OP - I think 128GB is fine if it suits your needs for the next 2-3 years.

You will surely be able to upgrade to a bigger and cheaper SSD by then, if the need arises.

6. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Well, what are you going to do with it? Any computer will last you 5-8 years, if it suits your needs.

7. benvw99 thread starter macrumors member

benvw99

I have a 1TB external drive. I won't use it unless I need it though.

And I will mainly use the computer for word processing, internet browsing, and video editing, and an occasional video game.

8. darkcoupon macrumors regular

I would bet your RAM and processor upgrades will be more than enough to last you 5-8 years. It seems we're coming to a critical mass when it comes to computing power, what's currently available is more than powerful enough for the majority of users so there isn't much need for more power. Chip makers seem to be focusing more on energy efficiency, cooler running temps, and more portable systems with integrated chips. I doubt we're going to see huge year-to-year gains in computing power like we have over the last 5-10 years.

9. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Well, the focus is on efficiency is because most of us now take computing on the go. A lot of the bottleneck is still in networks, and battery life; surprisingly there hasn't been a major jump in that yet.

I also just read somewhere that Seagate is now making 8TB drives in the same space as older 4TB drives.

10. eezacque Guest

High-end MBPs are likely to last no longer than their Applecare: that is about 3 years...