2014 MBAir new hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GtrDude, Jun 11, 2017.

1. GtrDude macrumors regular

I use my 2014 MBA a lot and the 128 GB is running low.
    Is it possible for me to install a larger hard drive?
    If so do you know of a link or a video tutorial?

Thanks

2. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

You'll need to find an SSD pulled from a dead MBA or rMBP of the same year, it's not something you can go to the store and buy like with a 2.5" drive or M.2 SSD. The process of replacing it is very easy, just take the bottom off with a pentalobe screwdriver, undo the single Torx screw holding the SSD down and do the swap.

3. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

In lieu of replacing the SSD, another option would be to use the SD slot for secondary storage.

They make short SDXC cards (I think up to 128GB) or you could use a microSD adapter (like the NiftyDrive) with a 200/256 micro SD card.

I have the Nifty with a 200GB microSD. I keep my itunes library and comic books on that drive. I also use JPEGmini to "shrink" my photos.app library to keep my SSD relatively uncluttered.

4. GtrDude thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help on this.
    Much appreciated.
    Sounds like I need to just keep the machine as it is and get a new MacBook Air when the time is right.
    I tried getting the MBP but had to return it due to the keyboard.

As to me using the SD slot for a secondary storage, I tried but the MacBoor Air will not read any SD card I put in there.
    Don't know why.

Annoying. Especially since I discovered that long after the return was up.

5. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

You can get either a 256GB or 512GB 2014 MBA SSD and install it from the iFixit videos on YouTube.
    Don't bother using OWC / Macsales.com , their SSDs are poorly rated for bad performance.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2017 ---
    Have you tried inserting the SD card while your MBA is logged in and the screen active ?
    That can solve problems if you haven't got the screen active while the disk is inserted. (Which also happens with USB drives.)

6. GtrDude thread starter macrumors regular

One more thing; in case of installing a new hard drive how do I get the operating system back on the new hard drive...lol...?

7. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

Get an external hard drive, 2.5 to 3 times larger than the storage capacity of the replacement drive you will install.
    Plug it in, click yes when the finder asks if you want to use it as a time machine drive.
    let it backup the entire drive. when that is done and confirmed backup, then eject the drive and unplug it when safe to do so.
    Then get an 8gb usb flash drive, and follow the instructions on making a usb installer disk for MacOS here :
    https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/09/how-to-make-a-bootable-macos-sierra-usb-flash-drive/
    Then eject the drive when done, and unplug when safe to do so.

Install your new drive. When you have it in and all ready to put the operating system on, do this :
    Plug in the 8GB install disk, then turn on the Macbook Air while holding down the R key.
    You will see that it shows the disks, click on the install MacOS USB disk.
    Install MacOS, it will take around 30 minutes to do and may restart during the install.
    Then at the setup of the new MacOS system screen, it will ask you about using a time machine backup to transfer from an old mac. (This should be the Migration Assistant app if you skip it and do it after the system is started fresh.)
    You then plug in your time machine external hard drive, and select the time machine backup.
    You let it copy back over all your old apps, documents and settings, etc.

At the end of that, you have your old stuff back on the new drive, with the extra space and a time machine backup disk the right size for your new drive, an installer USB disk which you can reuse.
    You may then want to get a USB enclosure for your old 128GB SSD, which lets you use the old mac drive as a large USB 3 flash drive at high speed. https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENPRPCI/
    Either way, it seems that the larger SSD should go slightly faster than the 128GB original SSD due to increased capacity differences. Enjoy !

8. GtrDude thread starter macrumors regular

Kiwi,

Thanks A LOT for your post.

Very awesome.

Will follow your steps.

Thanks again