2014 MBP 13" vs 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Huerz, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Huerz, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

Huerz macrumors member

For those in the know, which 2014 MBP model would hit the sweet spot between performance and price for the following purposes?

- Having Chrome (with approximately 25 tabs), Word (with 2 documents), Calendar, Mail and a pdf reader (with five pdfs) open constantly and...

- For gaming i.e a system that would allow me to run games released up until around 2013 on high at 30FPS.

The highest priced 15" MBP (with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory) is a little out of my price range, so it then comes down to whether or not the higher processor speeds/ increased RAM offered in the alternative models equate to a clear performance boost which satisfies the above needs.

I can appreciate that the more you spend, the better the system is likely to be, but I would like to purchase the model that meets these needs, rather than exceeds them.

Screen size irrelevant but I would like something which could push an external HD or 4K monitor.

Any suggestions/ links are much appreciated.

PS. I am in no rush to purchase a system today. If the next iteration of MBPs is likely to offer a dramatic improvement, I am also happy to wait. Any comments regarding the upcoming MBP lineup and its impact on my decision, is heartily welcomed.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Unfortunately

You hit the nail on the head the one with discrete graphics is what you want for modern gaming and 4K output, that simple really.

I would suggest that you go for the 2013 refurb for $400 less and get what you need at the price of the lower end 2014. The machines are exactly the same bar the 200mhz CPU speed bump and the higher end 15 from 2013 is the same speed as the 2014 anyway. Apple refurbs have a brilliant reputation as being just about perfect and all the normal warranties and applecare are available.