2014 MBP 'Refresh' Speculation Worth It?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Donor3, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Donor3 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Like so many others that I've seen on here, I too am in the boat of 'buy now or wait early 2014 refresh' of the MBPs.
    I have a functioning Windows machine that suits me just fine for now, but I'm always after the 'new best thing.'
    However, the point of this post is to clear up some rumors and inhibitions I've been having with the prospective systems and some feedback.

First: I've been hearing a lot about this new touchpad technology that removes any hinged buttons, but still emulates a 'click' sensation to the touchpad?

Second: With the release of MBAirs and the 13" getting a big overhaul recently, that the 15" were due to have an overhaul itself, what would/might that consist of?

Third: With the innovation of the new chips for the mobile units, I fear a sacrifice in power. With the rise of tablets and the need for longer battery life, I've seen many companies revise their consumer level laptops to run very battery-friendly chips that don't have a lot of 'oomph' to them. This isn't something I want to run into while waiting for a 2014 refresh or updated model of the MBPs. Any thought as to if that's a route Apple would go with the Pros?

Thanks for the any help.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

there will be no significant refresh early 2014 IMO, the refreshes with any reason to wait aline with new processor releases, I believe the next intel chip is due for Q3 release

3. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

4. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

Like the Breaking Bad fan said, there probably won't be a considerable bump until the end of the year when the Intel's Broadwell come out. However even that's uncertain as the desktop Broadwell chips seem to have been pushed into early 2015 and it's not unlikely that the mobile chips end up meeting the same fate.

There's definitely going to be a minor spec bump probably just before the Back to School-campaign in early fall/late summer, but that'll probably just be a minor CPU bump and possibly a boost in the standard RAM and SSD sizes to account for prices going down.

5. Donor3 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's all I was thinking as well, pragmatically.
    Just wanted to ease some worry before diving into a new purchase.

I appreciate the responses guys, thanks.