2014 Mini 256GB SSD Only Model 2nd drive options

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ben2e, Feb 21, 2016.

1. ben2e macrumors member

Probably covered somewhere but couldn't find what the options were to add a 2nd SATA drive to a SSD only mac mini (256GB model). These seem fairly reasonably priced so if I can just put in a 2nd hard drive or Sata SSD, might be a simple upgrade. Anyone know if this model comes ready to slap in a 2nd drive ? My other option is the fusion drive of course but the SSD is small and 2TB hard drives are pretty cheap.

2nd question. Is the 16GB Ram upgrade worthwhile ? I had an 8GB 2.6 i5 model but could be pretty sluggish.

I'm annoyed as hell I can't buy a 2016 mini yet (if ever).

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Since you don't have the computer yet, I'd suggest the 1tb fusion drive version as the better option.

Why?
    - Comes with a 128gb SSD -and- a 1tb HDD already installed (for about the same price as the 256SSD)
    - Yes, only has 128gb SSD, BUT -- real-world performance will be roughly the same, IF you "manually split" the fusion drive into "standalone" drives.
    - And of course, you don't have to go prying into the case.

Alternate route:
    Get the 256gb SSD version, and just add a USB3 external HDD.
    Same speeds, and again less fussin' with the innards of the Mini.

Only you can tell us if your usage requirements -need- 16gb.
    I'll -guess- that for most folks, for the next 4-5 years, 8gb will be fine.

My opinion only.
    Others will disagree.
    Some will disagree vehemently.

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

The Flash drive only Mac mini does not come with the HD mounting bracket and cable for installing a after market HD. If you want to put a HD or SSD in later you will also have to find/buy a HD bracket and cable. I agree with Fisherman that a simpler and easier solution would be to connect an external HD for extra storage.

If you get a fusion drive, you have the option to replace the internal spinner HD with a 2.5" SATA SSD later if you want.

4. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

It seems like Apple sells the combination that you want. I just hope that the price isn't too annoying. ;)
    If you think about it, the Fusion Drive is the way to add one SATA drive to a mini that also has one PCIe SSD. What I am describing is not a second SATA drive since the 2014 mini will only hold one SATA drive. :eek:
    Will Big Fusion work for you? If you buy the premium mini with the 2TB Fusion Drive then you get the storage capacity that you mentioned. You will not need to open the case until you upgrade the SSD or HDD or perhaps something fails.

I can't say whether 16GB RAM will be worth it for you. What will you do with this computer? Why was that i5 sluggish? Did it have an SSD? The Memory Pressure indicator could have helped to convict or exonerate a RAM shortage as the source of your problem.