Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbear1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Can a 2014 Mini work as a home server as well as the 2012 with dual HD? I like the idea of the 2012 having dual drives so I can use it to back up laptops on the network. Will an external drive connected through USB or TB work as well as the internal drive on the 2012?

I use a laptop and iPad most of the time. The mini will be used to encode movies occasionally, sync iphones/ipads, and print server. Nothing heavy duty, so I don't think I really need a quad core from 2012.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Can a 2014 Mini work as a home server as well as the 2012 with dual HD? I like the idea of the 2012 having dual drives so I can use it to back up laptops on the network. Will an external drive connected through USB or TB work as well as the internal drive on the 2012?

I use a laptop and iPad most of the time. The mini will be used to encode movies occasionally, sync iphones/ipads, and print server. Nothing heavy duty, so I don't think I really need a quad core from 2012.

My mid-range 2014 mini is my media server, just as the 2012 mid-range was before it. I upgraded both with SSDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.