2014 Mini Choice - Mid or High?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by JulesK, Dec 12, 2014.

1. JulesK macrumors 6502

I've read as many threads as I could about this choice, but I plan to buy a 2014 Mini, and I really want as much long-term use as I can get out of it stock. I'll get an external USB3 drive for time machine, and have an existing TB HD for media, but beyond that, I just want to leave it as is and put off the hassle of upgrading to a newer machine as long as I can (which is the situation I'm facing currently).

I'm tempted to get a fully maxed-out machine (16GB, 512GB SSD, 3.0 i7), but it's a good 40% more than going with the mid-level machine with a 256GB SSD. I'm not a power-user, and I suspect that the mid-level machine would be fine, except you can't get the 512GB SSD with it.

Any thoughts in which one to go with would be greatly appreciated.

2. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Of course everybody is going to tell you what they would do. Therefore, I'll jump in...

For me only the i7 and max RAM would do. Since I find 512GB of storage not enough for me I would get a Fusion Drive which provides easier future upgrading, has a usable capacity and exhibits some of the qualities an SSD.

3. P00t macrumors member

Depends what you want to do with it, of course the i7 is better, but the mid model is enough for most tasks and is the model I would go for myself over price and performance difference which you probably wouldn't notice much.

But like I say, depends what you do.

I have a 2012 (Just over a month old) base model and I'm really pleased with it's performance and I'm selling my Mac Pro now since this is all I need for my extensive net surfing, movie watching, music playing and I even installed Windows 7 earlier and it ran really nice which was very suprising.

I'm also happy that it's not sucking up lots of electricity, makes me feel green :D

4. cinealta macrumors 6502

Just get a 2012 Quad-core i7 refurb ($589). You can put in your own 512 Gb SSD (Samsung 840 EVO $180 on sale). It'll be SATA and not PCIe but that shouldn't matter in a Mini (mobile CPU) platform. You can add your own 16 Gb Crucial RAM for $120 (Amazon on sale). The 2012 has USB 3.0 and TB. Done.

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

My recommendation is a Mid-Mini. You'd be better off saving all the extra money and just buying a new one in a couple years and sell your old one.

But that's what I do....

6. mapleleafer macrumors regular

I’m not a power user either, and i bought the mid-level 2014 with the 256 GB SSD and 16 GB of RAM. I needed the 16 GB of RAM because I have to run Windows in a virtual machine, and I got the 256 GB SSD, which is only half full, for speed, energy efficiency, and peace of mind. This machine is a huge step up from my late-2009 Core 2 Duo iMac and should satisfy my needs for a long, long time.

7. JulesK thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for comments!

I ended going in an entirely different direction and getting a MacBook Pro. As much as my old Air sits on my desk, I still wanted the option of portability, and was able to get a great deal on a 2013 15" MBPr.

But...I will get a stock mid-level Mini for my parents, so I'll still be lurking here!

8. crazzapple Guest

Good idea. The 2014 mini is a great computer for parents and people who otherwise have absolutely minimal computing requirements. Really it's a feat of engineering (and marketing).