2014 Retina MBP vs Retina MBP Late 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cchs2014, Aug 12, 2015.

1. cchs2014 macrumors member

Hello,
    I'm going to college soon and I've been researching all day about which MacBook Pro to get. I just sold my 2014 MBA 4GB 128GB. I never had problems with it, but I wanted to switch to a Retina model.

I've found a 2014 MBP and Late 2013 MBP on EBay for the same price but I'm having difficulty choosing which one to buy.

The 2014 MBP is 8GB/128GB with AppleCare until the end of this year.

The Late 2013 MBP is 4GB/256GB with AppleCare for TWO more years.

I never had problems with ram with my 4GB MBA but I can't decide if more ram or more storage is a better investment.

I use my MacBook for web browsing, Netflix, music streaming, and Microsoft office programs.

Which MBP do you guys this is a better buy?

Thank you guys!

2. grunty macrumors newbie

None of them are ideal. I'd keep shopping for an 8GB / 256 combo (regardless of generation).

Check Amazon / Apple refurb.

3. windywalks macrumors 6502

If you really have choose between these two, pick the one with 8GB of RAM.

I have to late 2013 with 4GBs and believe me, you're going to find yourself wanting that extra piece of RAM every time you open a few tabs in Safari, Mail, Messages iTunes and heck, even VLC. That's about it when it comes to turning my memory pressure orange and get the system to swap out copious amounts of data to the SSD.

As grunty says in his post, the best idea is to go for the 4GB and 256GB combo. The processor update isn't worth 2 cents from 2013 to 2014.