2014 rMBP 15" Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bairhanz, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Bairhanz macrumors newbie

Hey guys, just looking for a bit of advice on the 2014 line for 15" rMBP. Pardon me if some of these questions have been answered, I tried searching and came back a little fruitless.

I've been thinking about purchasing my first rMBP soon since my job is starting to take off and my 2011 laptop is a bit outdated and performing poorly. One of my family members actually uses the 2014 15" rMBP at his work and he mentioned the dual GPU version tends to run pretty hot depending on what applications you're using. Is this really a problem? Unless I'm going to try to hook up multiple displays and run CPU heavy rendering simultaneously I feel like the dual GPU is probably overkill for what I need it for.

Based on what I've read the new 2015 rMBPs aren't a huge performance boost outside of battery - the new touch pad is cool but I'm not really that interested. Would there be any reason to really consider waiting for the 15" (if it comes this year) over getting a 2014 15" with CPU upgrades?

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

3. Bairhanz thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd be using it mainly as a mobile workstation for my 2nd job. Adobe creative suite for photo editing and organization and some light video and graphics work, reader/acrobat and office for documents, and then miscellaneous applications for the business.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

I see no need for discrete graphics for your usage.

5. Bairhanz thread starter macrumors newbie

Eventually it'd be nice to build out a dock station that I can just drop my rMBP into when I get home for leisure use - would that be worth considering the dual graphics at that point if I was running 2 monitors?

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

no.

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

No.

Unless you need the storage built in, the model with the 750m won't provide you any benefits that are worth the added cost.