2014 rMBP Owners...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nexus4life, Aug 3, 2014.

1. nexus4life macrumors regular

Does anyone else notice any UI sluggishness? I'm using the more space (1680x1050) display setting and it seems like not only does my mbp heat up more often but the UI can be very sluggish. For example, opening up launchpad is not a smooth animation at all. Sometimes windows that I open are similarly not smooth.

Thanks!

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

What are you basing your comparison on? Which 2014 rMBP do you have?

3. nexus4life thread starter macrumors regular

Base 13" model/128GB/8GB Ram/Samsung Display

4. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

Are you running both the Samsung display AND the retina? If it's just the Samsung then it shouldn't be so bad. If dual display, well there's the problem - the Iris is not THAT great when presented with such strain.

5. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Though I have not tried it, surely the MBP retina can handle running both displays at once and smoothly? Id be disappointed if it could not, for that amount of $$.

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Probably not with scaling. And it's a lot of $$ but it's also the base model - you can't expect amazing performance from the base version!

Remember how the scaling works with OS X - it renders at double the res and then scales down. That, plus the external display, is a lot of pixels for iris to push.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have that exact 2014 model and same specs and I just tested at 1680x1050 and I am not seeing that behavior at all.

If I jump back and forth between the default res. and 1680x1050 then pop Launchpad in and out over and over I can see that it is ever so slightly slower popping up at the higher res, but not at all sluggish and no apps are slow to minimize etc.

I am assuming from your comment you mean you have a Samsung brand display in the Retina and you are not attached to an external Samsung display like mentioned in this thread by others. If I assuming wrong, let me know.

8. nexus4life thread starter macrumors regular

You are correct!

Hopefully Yosemite or 10.9.5 or something can solve this issue. Might just be another one of those things that solves themselves.