2014 rMBP Ram Usage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by timize, Dec 2, 2014.

1. timize macrumors regular

timize

Hey guys,

Just bought a new 2014 13" rMBP. I upgraded from a MBA and not regretting it!

I do have a concern, though. Base RAM for the 13" is 8 GB. I'm noticing just with the essential apps open in the background (Safari, Mail, Messages) that my RAM usage is extremely high. And this is off of a fresh restart. I've attempted to repair disk permissions and reset the PRAM, but that didn't really help it at all.

Of course, I might just be paranoid with Memory Clean constantly showing usage in the menu bar, but I was curious if anyone else is experiencing the same issue.

I haven't noticed any slowness or anything. Everything seems to still be pretty zippy and responsive, even when I'm using Photoshop or playing Civilization. I just thought it was really odd that it would use so much RAM with so little going on.

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 9.54.34 PM.png

2. cycledance Suspended

looks fine to me. don't bother with the memory clean thing. get rid of it and let the os manage the ram.

3. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Free RAM is wasted RAM. Don't use memory utilities, OS X knows how to handle itself. Unless you're noticing performance degradation don't worry.

Since Mavericks, OS X has had very good memory compression technology essentially allowing 12GB of virtual RAM with only 8 GB of physical.

4. timize thread starter macrumors regular

timize

I was going to assume OS X was taking care of it in the background since everything is still extremely responsive. Seeing the numbers just made me question it. Good to know I don't need to worry... I am going to uninstall Memory Clean now.

5. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I recommend that. Plus, since Mavericks, you no longer have the basic "Active" and "Inactive" memory categories, so many of those utilities aren't as accurate. Those categories do exist, but they aren't as straightforward. It's best to let the system handle it's own regulation. I admit, I used to like seeing a lot of "free" memory too :) but since Mavericks I've noticed a huge increase in responsiveness when under load despite the fact that the system used several GBs more than before so I was happy.

The thing to look at now isn't how much free memory you have, but your memory pressure (see screenshot). When that graph fills and changes colors to yellow and then to red, you are running out of usable memory even with compression.

Attached Files:

6. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Smart move. Iʻve read bad things about Memory Clean. Just like other members have said, let OSX do its thing. :)

----------

This! Memory pressure is the % to watch in Yosemite. Activity Monitor is your friend.