2014 rMBP release date?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noksky, Jan 31, 2014.

1. noksky macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and will be brand new to the Mac world as I am switching from windows for work. I've been doing quite a bit of research on these laptops I feel they're a no brainer in terms of reliability and value; investment. I am seeking all of your opinions.

My question is when is the Early 2014 version of the rMBP going to be released (opinions)? I am stuck between waiting for it to be released or just purchasing the late 2013 version. I was told that the next release of this laptop wont be for a little while and when it does come out, the tweaks wont be THAT big of a deal to wait for.

My other question is IF it does come out with considerable tweaking, how much of a price drop will the late 2013 rMBP be? I was told about $50-$100.

Thanks in advance

2. pgiguere1, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014

pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

The next model should come with Broadwell (next-gen Intel CPU architecture), which should either come in late 2014 or early 2015. There likely won't be a Early-2014 model.

Apple usually only discounts refurbished older generations of MBPs, they don't offer them new once the new model comes out. They'll probably be $100-150 less than the current refurbished price.

My recommendation is to look for refurbished 2013 units currently. You can get a 13" Late-2013 refurb starting at $1,099, or a 15" starting at $1,699.

Waiting almost one extra year isn't worth the slight price drop IMO, and Broadwell is just a "tock" CPU upgrade (not that significant). The biggest update should probably be the dGPU on the 15" if it uses a Maxwell GPU this time around.

3. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

Most likely is June, keeping with the 8-month upgrade cycle. It will probably be a minor spec bump akin to last February’s. The next major upgrade will be with Broadwell, presumably 8 months thereafter, so February 2015.

4. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

5. koban4max macrumors 68000

it will be out tomorrow...

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As noted, intel delayed Broadwell until Q4 2014, so that means apple has no reason to upgrade its MBP line.