2014 rMBP slowing down.. help please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tm0000, Nov 7, 2016.

1. tm0000 macrumors regular

Hey everyone :)

So, I have a mid 2014 rMBP. The specs are as follows..

processor - 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
    memory - 16 GB
    graphics - Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Lately I've been noticing my MBP slowing down a lot. I keep getting the spinning beachball and the MBP just "hangs". I have not installed any new software and I have 100 GB free out of the 500 GB hard drive.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could be wrong?

Also, I used to use clamxav to "clean out" my MBP. But now that it is a paid software, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!

2. Willo34 macrumors regular

Willo34

Check out what programs are running on the background. Have a look at your activity monitor.

3. iizmoo macrumors 6502

Reset your NVRAM. Run Disk Utility First Aid to ensure there's no corruption or funny business on the SSD. Get blackmagic speed test to check that your SSD is performing as expected. You can also try to run Memtest from a CD or USB pen drive to check your RAM. If all of those passes, it's more likely a software thing and you get to go through a longer process of elimination.

I use Avast as an AV, it's free.

4. jmebbk macrumors regular

I thought you don't need an anti virus for A and?

5. CodeSpyder macrumors 6502a

CodeSpyder

It's a savage plot by Apple to get people to buy the new MBP. They turn a switch and everybody's MBP slows down.

6. tm0000 thread starter macrumors regular

Can someone please help me with this? What is kernel_task? I think that is what is making the MBP slow? Please look at screenshot.

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 7.46.18 PM.png

7. iizmoo macrumors 6502

Regardless of the direct impacts, any threat can also be passed on to your other home/work environments where they can be executed.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 11, 2016 ---
    I just realized you said you had 100GB out of a 500GB HDD not SSD.

HDD for Macs just crawl since about 2-3 releases ago. It just does, I couldn't stand it on a Mini 2011. It was doing basically every single thing you mentioned, freezing, slowing, UI lag, etc...

The second thing is your size of free space is actually not that awesome. My general observation over 20 years has been that HDD showed very noticeable degradation in performance noticeable to humans at about 55% fill rate. It'll run well until about 30-40%. You're basically at 80% fill rate, on what I can only assume is the default 5400 RPM HDD? Basically a slow drive, and you added a bunch of stuffs that made it even slower.

If I were you, I would just get something like a 1TB SSD. Unless you're an engineer or something, that's a good machine that can still run another few years, esp once you stick an SSD in and make it even faster than when it was new. Literally, it will be faster than when you got it because of the SSD.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

kernel_task is a core part of the OS and manages all those other process you see there. I would get rid of all that AV junk you have installed there and see if that helps.